The luxurious and intimate Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge lies deep within the heart of the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve. The reserve itself shares unfenced borders with the Kruger National Park and the Timbavati Game Reserve, which means wildlife roams freely throughout.
Nestled on the banks of the Klaserie River and offering picturesque views of the dramatic landscape, Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge certainly has set the standard in terms of being an all-encompassing wilderness experience. This pioneer’s camp offers guests a sense of understated luxury in a wild setting home to the big five. The river meanders its way into the hilly region and draws plenty of wild animals to bask on its shores. Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge is truly is a slice of forgotten paradise just waiting to be soaked up in the true spirit of Africa.
In true pioneer style, there are only four Luxury Rondavel chalets, intimately tucked below mature, riverine trees and looking onto the river in a Kruger-classic style. Offering intimate safaris for groups of four to six, enjoy a personalized experience from beginning to end. A sparkling swimming pool adorns the river where guests can birdwatch, observe elephants and lap up the tranquility of this uncrowded, pristine reserve. Don’t be surprised if you wake up to the echoing roar of lions reverberating through the valley!
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to Availability|
|Full Inclusive||Full Board|
|01 Jun 2019 - 30 Nov 2019||R4 680||R2 340||R4 320||R2 160|
|01 Dec 2019 - 30 Nov 2020||R5 220||R2 610||R4 770||R2 400|
- Terms & Conditions
- Getting There
- General Travel Infromation
- Fact Sheet
- What to Pack
• Rooms are luxurious historic Rondavel chalets.
• Each chalet is tastefully decorated in a modern, minimalist style with rustic hints of old Africa.
• The rooms have bedside lights, an overhead fan, a dressing area and closets.
• Each chalet sleeps two people in either king, queen or twin beds.
• All chalets have a private en suite bathroom with toilet, double vanity, bathtub and shower.
• All natural, luxury bathroom amenities are provided.
• Main lodge area has a game-viewing deck overlooking the Klaserie river
• Main lodge area has a lounge/library section with couches and a boutique gift shop.
• Main lodge area also has a relaxing, al fresco lounge with couches.
• Open boma area / fire-pit with outdoor seating.
• Swimming overlooking the Klaserie River.
• Exclusive dining during all mealtimes.
• Wi-Fi and laundry services available (complimentary).
• Airport transfers available through a local, reliable operator (please inquire for further information)
FULL BOARD AND ACTIVITIES RATE INCLUDES
- Rate includes all meals; guided safari activities (walking trails and safari drives); teas & coffees; still water.
FULLY INCLUSIVE RATE INCLUDES
- Rate includes all meals; local drinks (soft & alcoholic); guided safari activities (walking trails and safari drives); teas & coffees.
- The KPNR Conservation Levy of ZAR 115 per person per day (over 12 years) which is payable upon booking or arrival at camp in cash or card (ZAR 210 from January 2020). The Incheni Gate fee of ZAR 160 per vehicle per entry into the KPNR, payable in cash upon arrival at Incheni Gate.
- A 50% single supplement applies.
- Children aged 13 and over pay the full adult rate.
- Children aged 12 and under pay 50% of the adult rate.
- Families with children aged 5 years and over are welcome, and will be provided a tailored safari experience. Full rates are applicable to children, except when sharing a room with an adult when a 50% rate applies to children. Children under 12 years cannot partake in walking trails. There is also an exclusive camp booking rate available for families with young children, please contact directly for inquiries.
PAYMENT TERMS AND CANCELLATION
- A deposit of 30% is reuiqred within 7 days of booking in order to retain selcted dates. The balance of payment is due 45 days prior to arrivaldate. Please refer to our terms and conditions for our cancellation policy.
- Rates are quoted in South African Rand.
- Rates are quoted per person sharing per night.
- Rates are subject to change without prior notice. Rates include government taxes where applicable. If taxes increase, we reserve the right to increase the rate accordingly.
Cancellation of all bookings must be in writing and is only effective on receipt of the written notification.
- If cancellation of any booking, or any part thereof, is received 31 days, or prior, to arrival, the deposit will be forfeited.
- If cancellation of any booking, or any part thereof, is received 30 to 8 days prior to arrival, a 50% cancellation fee will be charged.
- If cancellation of any booking, or any part thereof, is received 7 to 0 days prior to arrival, a 80% cancellation fee will be charged.
Travel insurance is compulsory, covering for cancellation, personal effects, personal accident, medical and emergency travel expenses.
Please follow directions rather than relying on GPS as it will lead you on wrong route.
Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp is located about 2 hours’ drive from Hoedspruit, which is a popular little safari town in Limpopo and known as the gateway to the Kruger Park. The local Eastgate Airport is about 1.5 hours drive from camp and operates flights in and out of Hoedspruit daily.
Self-driving guests can travel from Johannesburg, which is a scenic +-6 hour drive. Driving directions are as follows:
From Hoedspruit to Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge
From Hoedspruit take the R40 (to White River).
Travel for 6.5 km and turn left at sign for Timbavati / Eastgate (to airport). Go through boom gate. Travel for 18.8 km, passing Eastgate airport, until you reach the Enkhulu gate (Timbavati, Klaserie and Umbabat Nature Reserves Gate). State that you are going to Klaserie and sign in with gate guards.
Pass through the gate and take your immediate left turn (within 20 m of gate). Follow this gravel and brick road for 4.1 km, going over a cattle-grid and bending to the right, until you reach the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve – Incheni Gate. Mention that you are going to Ivory Wilderness, the gate guards will be expecting your arrival and will request the gate entrance fee (ZAR 160 per vehicle).
Enter through the gate and follow the main road straight for 13.5 km (passing by a cell phone tower) where you will reach a sign “Dover, Moscow, Zeekoigat, Dundee West” indicating to the left.
Take this left turn and follow the road (crossing over the river) for 5 km. Here you will reach a 4-way junction where you will turn right. Continue to follow the road for 9.6 km, when the road takes a hard- right turn. Follow the road for a further 4.1 km until you reach an Ivory Wilderness sign, turning left. Continue to follow the Ivory Wilderness signs for the last 7.1 km into the lodge.
NB. Dirt road can be bumpy in places, please drive with care. You will be driving through a Big 5 Nature Reserve, Please be aware of wildlife on/near the roads and provide plenty of space for wildlife
From Johannesburg/Pretoria continue on to the N4 Highway. Continue to follow N4 for 191 km. Take the exit toward the R33.
Continue onto R540 from Belfast to Dullstroom. Turn left onto R36, travelling through Lydenburg, Ohrigstad, andthrough the Strydom Tunnel towards Hoedspruit. The R36 becomes the R527 and takes you right into Hoedspruit at the T-junction with the R40. Turn right on the R40 towards White River and follow the directions below from Hoedspruit to Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge.
Please note: The road can take up to 2 hours from Hoedspruit, depending on wildlife and road condition once entering the reserve (dirt roads from here on out). Game-viewing begins once in the reserve, so keep your eyes peeled for wildlife, and please be aware of potentially dangerous animals on/near the road. We strongly advise our guests not to follow GPS, and rather to follow our directions and map, as GPS will be misleading.
ROAD TRANSFERS (valid from June 2019 until December 2019)
The below transfers can be booked through Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge reservations in conjuction with a stay at Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge
(please inquire directly transfer rates to other locations)
|1 pax||2 pax||3 pax||1 pax|
|Per vehicle from Hoedpsruit Airport to IWRRL or visa versa||R1 620||R1 750||R1 860||R1 980|
|Per vehicle from Kruger Mpumalanga to IWRRL or visa versa||R3 720||R4 260||R4 680||R4 920|
|Per Vehicle from Phalaborwa Airport to IWRRL or visa versa||R2 880||R3 240||R3 720||R3 840|
During the dry season the vegetation is sparse and wildlife congregates on the banks of the river and at available waterholes. During the wet season the vegetation is dense and wildlife is more dispersed. In addition to the big five species that are regularly sighted at close range in the Klaserie, animals frequently
seen include giraffe, zebra, warthog, spotted hyena, baboon, crocodile, impala, kudu, vervet monkey, waterbuck, wildebeest, bush baby, mongoose, duiker and steenbok.
Some other very special members of the wild you might also see include the wild dog, cheetah, honey badger, porcupine, aardvark, civet, caracal and serval. Birds can be spotted from all over the lodge, but some of the top species are vultures, owls, bee-eaters, rollers, a resident kingfisher in the boma area and an array of raptors.
Wildlife can be spotted from the deck in front of the main lodge area. Elephants, impala, waterbuck and kudu frolic on the banks of the river below the viewing deck.
The average mean rainfall for the year is 350mm, with most rainfall occurring during mid-summer (November - February). The rainfall generally occurs in the form of thunderstorms where a downpour is experienced, very seldom lasting longer than a few hours. The average maximum temperatures range from 24°C in July to 31°C in January with the average minimum occurring in July at a temperature of 8.5°C.
Before travelling, guests are encouraged to consult their local doctors on anti-malarial medication and preparation, however a repellent stick or spray is effective and should be utilised.
The luxurious and intimate Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp lies deep within the heart of the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve. The reserve itself shares unfenced borders with the Kruger National Park and the Timbavati Game Reserve, which means wildlife roams freely throughout.
Overlooking the Klaserie River and offering unsurpassed views of the dramatic landscape, Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp certainly has set the standard in terms of being an all encompassing wilderness experience.
This camp offers its guests a sense of understated luxury in a wild setting home to the big five. The river meanders its way into the hilly region and draws plenty of wild animals to bask on its shores. Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp truly is a slice of forgotten paradise just waiting to be soaked up in the true spirit of Africa.
There are only two tented chalets with wooden balconies elevated above the undulating rocky landscape, which means a personalised safari experience awaits. A sparkling swimming pool adorns the expansive balcony in front of the lodge where guests can birdwatch, observe elephants and lap up the tranquility of this uncrowded, pristine reserve. Don’t be surprised if you wake up to the echoing roar of lions reverberating through the valley!
AT A GLANCE
- Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge has four luxurious Rondavel chalets and is located in the game-rich Klaserie Private Nature Reserve where guests can enjoy a private traverse in the Great Kruger wildlife kingdom.
- Safari drives, bush walks, meals and accommodation are included in the rate.
- Watch our infamous chef prepare meals over the fire in front of you and enjoy bush fine dining.
- Guests have the option of pre-arranging outdoor breakfasts, romantic riverside dinners and bush sleep-outs under the starlit sky.
- The camp is in an idyllic position nestled on the banks of the Klaserie River.
- The reserve is home to the big five. Watch out for some of the resident lions in the area - the Dundee and River Prides!
- Expansive traverse that covers over 16,000 hectares from the Olifants river to the central Klaserie. The region contains mixed woodland, riverine forest, rocky outcrops and low-lying plains with the Klaserie river running through its core.
- The camp is owner run and managed; and is steeped in history. It’s here you will learn about the wild in an unpretentious yet luxurious camp with a true African atmosphere.
- Morning and evening safari drives
- Morning and/or afternoon walking trails
- Bush breakfasts (on request) *
- Bush dinners (on request) *
- Sundowners at various scenic locations
- Sleep out under the stars (on request) *
Walk an African wilderness trail with the chance of encountering some of the largest and most charismatic to the smallest and most delicate creatures of the Greater Kruger. Trails average between 3 and 9 km's in distance, bearing in mind guest fitness levels and trail activity.
Sit back on one of our driving safaris, a great way to get closer to some of the larger game and fantastic for photographic opportunities. Our driving safaris will also often take you to different, selected locations for a walking trail or to a perfect sun-downer spot.
Sleep out experience
Experience a luxury wilderness sleep out in the African bush. Connect with nature around a fire and below the endless starry sky, yet with the comforts of a luxury bush-bed for your slumber
*minimum stay and pre-booking required for some listed activities – please contact for further information
A TYPICAL DAY AT IVORY WILDERNESS Riversong CAMP
- 05h00 – Wake-up call
- 05h30 – Quick coffee and depart for your safari
- 08h30 - 09h00 - Return to camp and enjoy a good breakfast
- 14h30 - Lunch
- 16h00 – Depart on afternoon game drive and night drive
- 19h00 to 20h00 – Return to camp and drinks at the bar
- 20h00 – Dinner followed by campfire chatter
Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge is located in a prime game-viewing destination. The Greater Kruger is a collection of private, unfenced nature reserves situated on the western border of the Kruger National Park.
All game moves freely throughout the region, but the reserves in the Greater Kruger are private meaning that the guests get an unbeatable safari experience.
The camp is about 2 hours’ drive from Hoedspruit and is located deep in the reserve on the banks of the Klaserie River. The landscape is varied - at open grasslands contrast the sandy banks and rocky outcrops hugging the river. The presence of water attracts elephants, buffalo and wading birds.
Guests can fly to Eastgate (Hoedspruit) airport from Johannesburg or Cape Town, from where a shuttle service can be arranged into the lodge through a reliable, local operator.
This last leg is a drive through a big five area, so keep your eyes peeled for early game viewing.
The luxurious and intimate Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge lies deep within the heart of the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve. The reserve itself shares unfenced borders with the Kruger National Park and the Timbavati Game Reserve,
which means wildlife roams freely throughout.
Nestled on the banks of the Klaserie River and offering unsurpassed views of the dramatic landscape, Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge certainly has set the standard in terms of being an all-encompassing wilderness experience. This pioneer’s camp offers its guests a sense of understated luxury in a wild setting home to the big five.
The river meanders its way into the hilly region and draws plenty of wild animals to bask on its shores. Ivory Wilderness River Rock Lodge is truly is a slice of forgotten paradise just waiting to be soaked up in the true spirit of
In true pioneer style, there are only four Luxury Rondaval chalets, intimately tucked below riverine trees and looking onto the river in a Kruger-classic style. Offering intimate safaris for groups of four to six, enjoy a personalized
experience from beginning to end. A sparkling swimming pool adorns the River where guests can birdwatch, observe elephants and lap up the tranquility of this uncrowded, pristine reserve. Don’t be surprised if you wake up to the
echoing roar of lions reverberating through the valley!
The climate in the Kruger lowveld brings hot summer months between October and April when the rainfall is high, and so is the temperature, reaching over 40 degrees Celsius in the afternoon. The dry winter months begin in May and carry on until
October/November, during which time the weather is mild during the day with temperatures averaging mid- high 20s, while colder in the evenings and early mornings.
- Bring sun protection in the form of sunblock, sun hats, and glasses.
- Scarfs, jackets and gloves are needed for early mornings on game drive, especially in winter.
- Comfortable walking shoes as well as open sandals for when the weather is hot.
- Bring along cameras, binoculars and recording gadgets to keep a record of the many wildlife sightings.