Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp is a luxurious and intimate tented camp overlooking the Klaserie River. Guests can expect Big 5 walking trails, game drives, gourmet cuisine and a personalised service.
Located in the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve on the banks of the scenic Klaserie River lies the luxurious and intimate Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp. Two luxury explorer tents, each with their own balcony and outdoor shower, provide a complete sense of privacy and wild luxury. The camp is perched above the banks of the Klaserie River, which means that you have the perfect elevation point to watch elephants splash in the waters below.
The big five roam free in this reserve, and the predators seek hideouts in this rocky and undulating landscape. Spend evenings relaxing in the boma area, enjoying twilight swims in the pool and end the day by falling asleep in your spacious tent while being surrounded by old-world charming decor.
Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to Availability
|Description||1 Jan 2019 to 31 Dec 2019|
|Luxury Tented Suites - Full Board + Activities||on Request|
|Luxury Tented Suites - Full Board - Child under 12 yrs||on Request|
|Luxury Tented Suites - Fully inclusive||on Request|
|Luxury Tented Suites - Fully inclusive- Child under 12 yrs||on Request|
- Travel Information
- Getting there
- Fact Sheet
- What to Pack
4 Luxury tents are privately located with views of the Klaserie River or the surrounding bushveld. The sophisticated interiors exude old-world elegance, from the rustic bookcases, to copper lamps, leather luggage racks, and old fashioned trunks.
Every tent sleeps 2 people in either double or twin beds, which are lavishly made up with layers of Egyptian cotton linen, wool duvet inners, and subtle decorative throws and cushions. There are drop-down canvas covers for the window openings, keeping cool air out in winter, or letting it flow through in summer.
En suite bathrooms are open-plan, spearated from the bedroom area by a unique and aesthetically pleasing room divider.
An indoor shower, double vanity, and toilet make up the bathroom, while each tent also has an adjacent, outdoor shower. Wooden balconies are spacious and perfect for a spot of birdwatching.
During the dry season the vegetation is sparse and wildlife congregates on the banks of the river and at available waterholes. During the wet season the vegetation is dense and wildlife is more dispersed. In addition to the big five species that are regularly sighted at close range in the Klaserie, animals frequently
seen include giraffe, zebra, warthog, spotted hyena, baboon, crocodile, impala, kudu, vervet monkey, waterbuck, wildebeest, bush baby, mongoose, duiker and steenbok.
Some other very special members of the wild you might also see include the wild dog, cheetah, honey badger, porcupine, aardvark, civet, caracal and serval. Birds can be spotted from all over the lodge, but some of the top species are vultures, owls, bee-eaters, rollers, a resident kingfisher in the boma area and an array of raptors.
Wildlife can be spotted from the deck in front of the main lodge area. Elephants, impala, waterbuck and kudu frolic on the banks of the river below the viewing deck.
The average mean rainfall for the year is 350mm, with most rainfall occurring during mid-summer (November - February). The rainfall generally occurs in the form of thunderstorms where a downpour is experienced, very seldom lasting longer than a few hours. The average maximum temperatures range from 24°C in July to 31°C in January with the average minimum occurring in July at a temperature of 8.5°C.
Before travelling, guests are encouraged to consult their local doctors on anti-malarial medication and preparation, however a repellent stick or spray is effective and should be utilised.
Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp is located about 2 hours’ drive from Hoedspruit, which is a popular little safari town in Limpopo and known as the gateway to the Kruger Park. The local Eastgate Airport is about 1.5 hours drive from camp and operates flights in and out of Hoedspruit daily.
Self-driving guests can travel from Johannesburg, which is a scenic +-6 hour drive. Driving directions are as follows:
From Hoedspruit, take the R40 in a southerly direction towards White River and travel for 6km before turning left at the sign for Timbavati/Eastgate Airport. Continue through the control gates and drive for 18.8km until you reach Enkhulu Gate, sign in and take an immediate left (less than 20m), cross over cattle grid, and turn right to follow the road. After 4.1km, enter Incheni Gate (R140 fee) and continue 13.4km until turning right at a cellphone tower. Drive 7.7km until junction; turn left to Klaseriemont Dundee East; continue 7.4km; turn left at sign for Dundee South East; continue 5km to a sign for Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp, and turn right here. The camp is 500m along the road.
From Johannesburg/Pretoria continue on to the N4 Highway. Continue to follow N4 for 191 km. Take the exit toward R33. Continue onto R540 from Belfast to Dullstroom. Turn left onto R36, travelling through Lydenburg, Ohrigstad, and through the Strydom Tunnel towards Hoedspruit. The R36 becomes the R527 and takes you right into Hoedspruit at the T-junction with the R40. Turn right on the R40 towards White River and continue for 6km before turning left at the sign for Timbavati/Eastgate Airport. Continue through the control gates and drive for 18.8km until you reach Enkhulu Gate, sign in and take an immediate left (less than 20m), cross over cattle grid, and turn right to follow the road. After 4.1km, enter Incheni Gate (R140 fee) and continue 13.4km until turning right at a cellphone tower. Drive 7.7km until junction; turn left to Klaseriemont Dundee East; continue 7.4km; turn left at sign for Dundee South East; continue 5km to a sign for Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp, and turn right here. The camp is 500m along the road.
Please note: The road can take up to 2 hours from Hoedspruit, depending on wildlife and road condition once entering the reserve (dirt roads from here on out). Game-viewing begins once in the reserve, so keep your eyes peeled for wildlife, and please be aware of potentially dangerous animals on/near the road. We strongly advise our guests not to follow GPS, and rather to follow our directions and map, as GPS will be misleading.
The luxurious and intimate Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp lies deep within the heart of the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve. The reserve itself shares unfenced borders with the Kruger National Park and the Timbavati Game Reserve, which means wildlife roams freely throughout.
Overlooking the Klaserie River and offering unsurpassed views of the dramatic landscape, Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp certainly has set the standard in terms of being an all encompassing wilderness experience.
This camp offers its guests a sense of understated luxury in a wild setting home to the big five. The river meanders its way into the hilly region and draws plenty of wild animals to bask on its shores. Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp truly is a slice of forgotten paradise just waiting to be soaked up in the true spirit of Africa.
There are only two tented chalets with wooden balconies elevated above the undulating rocky landscape, which means a personalised safari experience awaits. A sparkling swimming pool adorns the expansive balcony in front of the lodge where guests can birdwatch, observe elephants and lap up the tranquility of this uncrowded, pristine reserve. Don’t be surprised if you wake up to the echoing roar of lions reverberating through the valley!
AT A GLANCE
- Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp has 2 luxurious tented chalets with a main area and is located in the game-rich Klaserie Private Nature Reserve.
- Game drives, walks, meals and accommodation are included in the rate.
- Watch your skilled chef prepare meals in the kitchen through the windows overlooking the balcony.
- Guests have the option of pre-arranging bush walks, outdoor breakfasts and romantic riverside dinners.
- The camp is located in an idyllic position high up on the banks of the Klaserie River.
- The reserve is home to the big five. In particular, watch out for the two resident lion prides - the Dundee and River Pride.
- Traverse covers an expanse of 6000 hectares of mixed woodland, riverine forest and low-lying vegetation.
- Upon request, we will organise trails and sleep outs under the starlit sky.
- The camp is owner run and managed; and is steeped in history. It’s here you will learn about the wild in an unpretentious yet luxurious camp with a true African atmosphere.
- Rooms are luxurious tented chalets with a wraparound wooden balcony
- Each tented chalet is tastefully decorated in a modern, minimalist style with rustic hints of old Africa
- Tents are built from high-end wood and safari canvas fit to withstand outside elements
- The tents have bedside lights, bedside tables, a ceiling fan, bookshelf and two chairs
- Each tent sleeps two people in either Queen or twin beds
- Balcony is furnished with two chairs and a table
- Guests have the option of a twin or double bed set-up
- En suite bathroom with toilet and shower
- Bathroom amenities are provided
- Outdoor shower adjacent to each room
- The entire camp runs on solar energy, ensuring carbon footprint is low
- The main lodge is located a quick walk from each of the chalets
- Main area has a lounge/library section with couch
- Enclosed boma area with outdoor seating, fire-pit and dining table
- Expansive wooden deck in main area with sweeping views of the reserve and river
- Swimming pool on the deck complete with sun loungers
- Al fresco lounge and bar area
- WiFi upon request
- Morning and evening game drives
- Bush breakfasts (on request)
- Outdoor dinners
- Traditional boma dinners
- Optional bush walks
- Sundowners at various scenic locations
- Trails and outdoor sleep out experience under the stars (optional)
A TYPICAL DAY AT IVORY WILDERNESS Riversong CAMP
- 05h00 – Wake-up call
- 05h30 – Quick coffee and depart for your safari
- 08h30 - 09h00 - Return to camp and enjoy a good breakfast
- 14h30 - Lunch
- 16h00 – Depart on afternoon game drive and night drive
- 19h00 to 20h00 – Return to camp and drinks at the bar
- 20h00 – Dinner followed by campfire chatter
Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp is located in a prime game-viewing destination. The Greater Kruger is a collection of private, unfenced nature reserves situated on the western border of the Kruger National Park.
All game moves freely throughout the region, but the reserves in the Greater Kruger are private meaning that the guests get an unbeatable safari experience.
The camp is about 2 hours’ drive from Hoedspruit and is located deep in the reserve on the banks of the Klaserie River. The landscape is varied - flat open grasslands contrast the sandy banks and rocky outcrops hugging the river. The presence of water attracts elephants, buffalo and wading birds.
Guests fly to Eastgate (Hoedspruit) airport from Johannesburg, Cape Town or Durban, and are met by their host from Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp and driven the last distance to camp.
This last leg is a drive through a big five area, so keep your eyes peeled for early game viewing.
FULL BOARD RATE INCLUDES
- Rate includes all meals; guided safari activities (walking trails and safari drives); teas & coffees.
FULLY INCLUSIVE RATE INCLUDES
- Rate includes all meals; local drinks (soft & alcoholic); guided safari activities (walking trails and safari drives); teas & coffees.
- Klaserie Private Nature Reserve Conservation levy of R115 per person per day and the Wildlife Protection levy of R250 per person per stay (payable either at camp or upon booking). Klaserie Gate fee of R140 per vehicle (payable at Klaserie Incheni gate - cash only). The Conservation levy is collected by the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve and the Wildlife Protection levy is distributed to the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve along with other noteworthy local projects in support of wildlife and communities.
- A 50% single supplement applies.
- Children aged 13 and over pay the full adult rate.
- Children aged 12 and under pay 50% of the adult rate.
- Children from age 5 years and over are accepted.
- Children under 12 are not permitted to do the walking trails. Parents are reminded that it is the wild and children are to be supervised at all times.
PAYMENT TERMS AND CANCELLATION
- A 50% deposit is required within 7 days of booking in order to retain selected dates. The balance of the payment is due 45 days prior to arrival date. Please refer to our terms and conditions for our cancellation policy.
- Rates are quoted in South African Rand.
- Rates are quoted per person sharing per night.
- Rates are subject to change without prior notice. Rates include government taxes where applicable. If taxes increase, we reserve the right to increase the rate accordingly.
- The below transfers can be booked through Ivory Wilderness Riversong Camp reservations in conjunction with a stay at Ivory
The climate in the Kruger lowveld brings hot summer months between October and April when the rainfall is high, and so is the temperature, reaching over 40 degrees Celsius. The dry winter months begin in May and carry on until October/November, during which time the weather is mild during the day with temperatures averaging mid-high 20s, while very cold in the evenings and early mornings.
- Throughout the year, we recommend packing lightweight, neutral-coloured clothing with short sleeves.
- Bring sun protection in the form of sunblock, sun hats, and glasses.
- Scarfs, jackets and gloves are needed for early mornings on game drive, especially in winter.
- Comfortable walking shoes as well as open sandals for when the weather is hot.
- Bring along cameras, binoculars and recording gadgets to keep a record of the many wildlife sightings.