Chacma Bush Camp offers the perfect big five safari experience in 8000 hectares of undulating landscapes dotted with rocky outcrops. This family-friendly camp in the Maseke Balule Game Reserve, sleeps a total of 10 people, and thus offers an authentic and intimate safari experience. Deep caves on the traverse and the Olifants River coursing through the region provide the perfect diverse landscape for game drives.
The camp’s perimeter is hugged by Mopane woodlands which are a major drawcard for a wealth of wildlife. Elephants, bushbuck, kudu and plains game are commonly spotted in these woodlands, and can be viewed from the comfort of the deck area surrounding the sparkling swimming pool. There's a natural waterlogged area in front of camp which provides wildlife with the much needed replenishment needed during the heat of the day.
|Description||01 Jan 2019 to 31
|per person per night (full board + activities)||R 3 460|
|per person per night (fully inclusive)||R 3 830|
- Camp & Safari
- Game Viewing
There are 3 chalets at Chacma Bush Camp, constructed from a mix of stone and natural boulders. Each of the rooms is similar in its decor, amenities and finishings but differs slightly in its layout and views. All rooms have air-con, plenty of cupboard space and en-suite bathroom with shower.
In total, the camp can sleep a maximum of 10 people. Klipspringer sleeps a family of 6 people and has an outdoor shower, Steenberg chalet sleeps 3 people and is next to the main area with a direct view of the waterhole, and the Grysbok chalet has two separate rooms sleeping 2 adults and 2 children.
High-thread count linen and the highest quality mattresses are kitted throughout. Expect a maximum level of comfort while being surrounded by wild, rugged surrounds.
Sleeps up to 4 guests on a King size bed and a Sleeper couch. Ideally this would be 2 adults and 2 children or 2 adults and 3rd adult sharing. There is an ensuite bathroom with shower and toilet and a verandah overlooking the watering hole.
Sleeps 2 adults on a Double bed and 2 children in bunk beds. It is a 2-roomed chalet with ensuite shower and bathroom. The chalet has a verandah overlooking the pool and watering hole.
Sleeps up to 6 guests on a King size bed a sleeper couch and 2 stretcher beds. It is suitable for 2 adults on the King size bed and up to 2 further adults sharing on the sleeper couch and stretcher beds. Alternatively 2 adults on the King size bed and 4 children on the sleeper couch and stretcher beds. The chalet has an ensuite toilet and
outdoor shower. The chalet has a verandah overlooking the pool and watering hole.
ABOUT THE CAMP
Chacma Bush Camp is located in an undulating, rocky landscape with plenty of drainage lines, ancient caves, boulders and koppies. The camp itself sleeps up to 10 people and children over 5 are welcome.
A small waterhole is neatly positioned in front of the swimming pool and outdoor area; and is frequented by elephant herds.
There is an unobtrusive elephant fence that keeps the pachyderms from coming into the camp.
A swimming pool with stone decking overlooks the waterhole. Guests can relax on the sun lounger or under the lapa and watch plains game filter down to drink.
During the down time between game drives, guests can retire to their humble thatched chalet for a quick siesta.
Meals are always a highlight at camp, and the menu includes a range of traditional food combined with a flair for the modern. During game drives guests will stop for coffee and snacks in the morning, and evening game drives will involve a sundowner stop with sweeping views.
- Guests have the option of enjoying a combination of outdoor activities and taking advantage of the lodge facilities.
- Guests are treated to a morning and evening game drive. Morning drives normally depart between 5:00 - 6:00 depening on the season. There's always a pre-drive coffee and another coffee break in the wilderness during the drive. Evening game drives start at about 3:30 - 4:30, depending on the season. Evening game drives include a sundowner stop and continue into the darker hours. Each drive is about 3 -4 hours long.
- We can arrange a special sundowner session, or bush breakfast upon request. A step from the daily sundowner celebration. This might include a session on the banks of the Olifants River or on rocky outrcop overlooking the reserve.
- Bird watching
- Boma dinners around the fire.
- Walks to the “koppie” behind the camp for scenic vistas.
During the winter months morning game drives/walks begin later and evening drives start early.
A typical day at Chacma Bush Camp begins with an early morning wake-up call, coffee and an activity.
Below is a rough schedule of what an average day on safari looks like. Times may vary depending on season and weather conditions.
- 05h00 – Wake-up call
- 05h30 – Quick coffee and depart for activity
- 08h30 - 09h00 - Return to camp and enjoy a hearty breakfast
- 14h30 - Lunch
- 15h30 - Tea/Snack
- 16h00 – Depart for afternoon/night game drive
- 19h00 to 20h00 – Return to camp
- 20h00 – Dinner followed by campfire chatter/drink. Guests can enjoy a traditional South African braaivleis (barbecue) cooked over the open fire.
Chacma Bush Camp is located in the Maseke Balule Game Reserve in the Greater Kruger. The area is situated between Hoedspruit and Phalaborwa in Limpopo Province. It is an 8000 hectare private game reserve, which shares open borders with the Kruger National Park. The undulating landscape is home to the Olifants River south of the of camp and old mica caves dot the landscape throughout.
Prominent mountainous ridges and boulder koppies characterise the terrain, making it an interesting region to explore on drive. Chacma Bush Camp is easily accessible for fly-ins and self-drivers. There are a few ways of getting to Chacma. Guests that choose to self-drive will be met at the gate and escorted to park their cars at camp.
From OR Tambo
Take the N12 or N4 highway to Witbank / eMalahleni (from Johannesburg Airport, follow signs to Boksburg to find the N12). Follow the N4 highway past Middleburg (Toll Plaza), and take the Belfast turnoff towards Dullstroom on the R540. Continue through Lydenburg and Ohrigstad on the R36, go through the Strydom Tunnel and take the R527 to Hoedspruit. Turn left onto the R40. Follow the R40 towards Phalaborwa. Continue on the R40 (the road eventually turns into the R530 as you get close to Phalaborwa).
Chacma is located at the entrance of the Lamai Gate, Maseke Game Reserve which is off the R40. There will be a brown signboard ‘Balule Grietjie’ - turn right at the sign and bear right again where you will see the Lamai Gate in front of you. It’s 4.2 km from the gate to camp. Driving time from OR Tambo is 6 - 7 hours.
Fly into Hoedspruit Airport (Eastgate Airport) and either self-drive or road transfer to camp. The distance is roughly 50 km from the centre of Hoedspruit. Chacma is located at the entrance of the Lamai Gate, Maseke Game Reserve which is off the R40.
There will be a brown signboard ‘Balule Grietjie’ - turn right at the sign and bear right again where you will see the Lamai Gate in front of you. It’s 4.2 km from the gate to camp.
Fly into Phalaborwa Airport (Hendrick van Eck Airport) and either self-drive or road transfer to camp, which is about 25km away. Chacma is located at the entrance of the Lamai Gate, Maseke Game Reserve which is off the R40.
There will be a brown signboard ‘Balule Grietjie’ - turn left just after this sign and bear right again where you will see the Lamai Gate in front of you. It’s 4.2 km from the gate to camp.
Guests that choose to self-drive will be met at the gate and escorted to park their cars at camp. When making a reservation, you can also book a road transfer (extra cost)
There is a conservation levy of R250 per person, payable at the camp. Guests who have booked a scheduled transfer from OR Tambo will be dropped off at Three Bridges. Chacma will transfer guests from here to camp, at an extra cost.
Guests who fly-in to Phalaborwa or Hoedspruit Airport will be transferred to camp at an extra cost.
The Maseke Balule Game Reserve shares unfenced borders with the Kruger National Park inviting the free movement of the big 5, predators and herbivores
Following in the footsteps of the herbivorous mammals are the carnivorous species of the South African bush. Lion, leopard, hyena, cheetah, African wild dog, and the Nile crocodile are some of the prominent predators residing in the Kruger. Smaller predators include jackal, mongoose, civet, and genet, honey badger, among others.
Some of the world’s largest mammals find their home in South Africa, where elephant, giraffe, hippo, buffalo, and rhino reside in the wild Kruger Park and surrounding private game reserves. Game drives lead to unforgettable sightings of these large species, in addition to general game, such as zebra, impala, kudu, gnu, waterbuck, bushbuck, duiker and steenbok. Nyla buck and elephant herds are frequent visitors to the camp itself.
The Kruger habitat accommodates a complete smorgasbord of birder’s delights. Water birds such as herons, storks, plovers, spoonbills, and sandpipers are common along dam edges; kingfishers, orioles, robins, chats, larks, cisticolas, and coucals are some of the veld and woodland birds around; while birds of prey are seen and heard throughout the day.
The camp can accommodate a max of 8 adults and 2 children on the exclusive use basis, or 6 adults and 4 children. Please refer to the Camp Layout Map on the Accommodation page for the rooming set up.
- Children aged 12 and over pay the full adult rate. Children under age 12 pay 50% of the adult rate.
FULL BOARD RATE INCLUDES
- All meals, game drives & bush walks, teas & coffees.
FULLY INCLUSIVE RATE INCLUDES
- All meals, all local drinks (soft & alcoholic) game drives & bush walks, teas & coffees.
- Premium international drinks, the Maseke Conservation levy of R300 per person per stay (payable direct at camp in cash or credit card). Please note that only Visa and MasterCard are accepted at the Camp.
- No single supplement applies.
- Children from age 5 years and over are accepted. If the camp is booked for exclusive use, then children of all ages are welcome.
- Rates are quoted in South African Rand.
- Rates are quoted per person sharing per night.
- Rates are subject to change without prior notice. Rates include government taxes where applicable.
- If taxes increase, we reserve the right to increase the rate accordingly.
- Please note that the fully inclusive rate includes local soft & alcoholic drinks, however this does not include premium international drinks.
The below transfers can be booked through Chacma Bush Camp reservations in conjunction with a stay at Chacma Bush Camp. Please note that the road transfers are scheduled to tie in with the flight arrival times into and out of Hoedspruit Airport. Please note that the road transfers from Hoedspruit Airport are private road transfers and outsourced. The road transfers from Three Bridges are scheduled to tie in with the arrival of the Ashtons road transfer from Johannesburg and are done by the camp rangers.
|Three Bridges to Chacma or vice versa||R 250||R250||per person|
|Hoedspruit/Eastgate to Chacma or vice versa||R1 535||R1 520||per single person|
|Hoedspruit/Eastgate to Chacma or vice versa||R 835||R830||per 2 guests sharing|
|Hoedspruit/Eastgate to Chacma or vice versa||R 635||R630||per 3 guests sharing|
|Hoedspruit/Eastgate to Chacma or vice versa||R 525||R520||per 4+ guests sharing|
2. 1 A booking is only held on a provisional basis until a deposit has been paid.
2.2.1 The amounts required to confirm a booking are as follows:
Guests are required to pay a 30% deposit within 14 days to confirm a reservation, with the balance due payable 45 days before the guest’s arrival.
2.3 Balance of Payment
2.3.1 Balance of payment is due 45 days prior to arrival.
4.1 Cancellation of all bookings must be in writing and is only effective on receipt of the written notification.
4.2 Reservations held by Sun Destinations where no deposit has been paid will be cancelled by Sun Destinations on notice to the Client.
4.3 Requests to reduce or waiver cancellation fees from the Client will be considered with the decision made at the discretion of Sun Destinations.
4.3 On cancellation of a confirmed reservation Sun Destinations shall, subject to the relevant provisions of the Consumer Protection Act No. 68 of 2008 (as amended from time to time), and to the extent that the provisions of said Act are applicable, be entitled to the payment of the following cancellation fees:
• If cancellation of any booking, or any part thereof, is received 31 days or prior to arrival, the deposit will be forfeited.
• If cancellation of any booking, or any part thereof, is received 30 to 8 days or prior to arrival, a 50% cancellation fee will be charged.
• If cancellation of any booking, or any part thereof, is received 7 to 0 days or prior to arrival, a 80% cancellation fee will be charged.
Travel insurance is compulsory, covering for cancellation, personal effects, personal accident, medical and emergency travel expenses.