A grand structure of leadwood and tall thatched roofs, Ezulwini Billy’s Lodge is an elegantly African lodge with opulent suites tucked away in the woodland of the Balule Nature Reserve.
Succumb to bushveld luxury at Ezulwini Billy's Lodge, which is built on the banks of a riverbed seasonally visited by rain bringing herds of grazing animals and their predatory counterparts right to the vicinity of the lodge. Located in the Balule Nature Reserve, a pristine private region of the Greater Kruger Park.
A lodge decked with leadwood masterpieces and high, thatched roofs, there is an element of space and opulence throughout the main area, extending to the superb private suites. Plunge pools, sun decks, and both indoor and open-air showers, Billy's Lodge caters to guests with a taste for sumptuousness.
Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • US$ • Subject to Availability
|Description||1 Jan 2020 to 31 Dec 2022|
|Luxury Chalets - Per Person Per Night Sharing||US$540|
|Superior Suites - Per Person Per Night Sharing||US$810|
- Fact Sheet
- Travel Information
Safari activities at Ezulwini Billy’s Lodge revolve around morning and evening game drives in the private traverse of the Balule Nature Reserve, Greater Kruger, but there are many ways to keep busy during a stay at the lodge.
- Morning and afternoon game drives in 4x4 safari vehicles led by guide and tracker. Morning game drives begin at 06h00 and afternoon game drives depart from the lodge at 16h00.
- Photographic opportunities both on drive and from the various viewpoints around the lodge.
- Bird watching from the lodge and while on game drive.
- Sundowners in the bush enjoyed during afternoon game drive as the sun is setting.
- Boma dinners around the fire and under the stars.
- Traditional South African cooking over an open fire in the boma.
TYPICAL DAY AT EZULWINI BILLY’S LODGE
A typical morning at Billy’s Lodge begins with a wake up call for early morning game drive, and ends with a few drinks around the traditional boma fire under a star-filled sky. Below is summary of how a typical day is structured at the lodge.
- 05h00 Wake up call
- 05h30 Rusks, tea and coffee at the lodge
- 06h00 Depart for game drive
- 08h30-09h00 Return to the lodge after game drive and take some time to freshen up before breakfast
- 09h30-10h30 Breakfast is served on the deck in the sunshine, or on the shaded veranda overlooking the surrounding bush
- 10h30-14h00 Leisure time during which guests may relax in their rooms, at the lodge, at the pool, or on the lookout deck
- 14h00-15h00 Lunch is served on the deck in the sunshine
- 15h30 Afternoon tea served just before departing for game drive
- 16h00 Depart the lodge for afternoon game drive, during which time guests stop for sundowners and enjoy a short night drive upon return to camp
- 19h30-20h00 Return to the lodge after game drive and spend a few minutes refreshing or having a drink at the bar before dinner is served.
- 20h30 Gather in the boma and take your seats in the dining area while dinner is served
Accommodation at Billy's Lodge is stylish and inspired by the natural elements of the Balule bushveld. It has high, thatched ceilings, stained-concrete floors, ensuite bathrooms, and air conditioning. All rooms also have tea and coffee facilities, while luxury suites also have mini bars.
Billy's Lodge has 3 standard rooms; 2 of which are traditional rondavels, and 1 room that leads onto the pool area. Each room sleeps 2 people in twin or double beds with mosquito netting and bedside tables. Ensuite bathrooms are dark-tiled with showers and large vanities.
There are 3 luxury suites, which are indulgently spacious with open-plan ensuite bathrooms, indoor bath, plus indoor and outdoor showers. Private decks have plunge pools, sun loungers, and a view. Room service offering champagne on ice adds to the exclusive safari experience.
Ezulwini Billy's Lodge has both standard rooms and luxury suites available. Each room sleeps 2 people in twin or double beds, equipped with mosquito nets and bedside tables.
3 x Standard rooms are rondavel-shaped with thatched roofs, ceiling fans, and have ensuite bathrooms with showers. In-room tea and coffee facilities offer comfort and convenience, while hot days can be spent at the pool or the bar, neither of which is far away.
3 x Luxury suites are spectacularly built with generous spaciousness and decorated using natural wood and African-inspired artwork. Private plunge pools and decks with sun loungers keep things exclusive, while open-plan ensuite bathrooms have bathtubs, plus indoor and outdoor showers. Minibars, tea and coffee, and air-conditioning complete the luxurious look.
Take the N12 or N4 highway to Witbank / eMalahleni (from Johannesburg Airport, follow signs to Boksburg to find the N12). Follow the N4 highway past Middleburg (Toll Plaza), Belfast and Machadodorp (Toll Plaza).
Follow the Schoemanskloof option on the N4 and then take the R36 to Lydenburg/Mashishing. Follow the R36 to Ohrigstad, go through the Strydom Tunnel and take the R527 to Hoedspruit.
At the T-Junction of the R40 turn left onto the R40 Phalaborwa/Mica road. After approximately 17 kilometres from Hoedspruit, look for the thatched gate on the right hand side of the road which is the entrance to the Balule Nature Reserve.
It’s the Olifants West Gate. Sign in at the gate and then continue approximately 3km straight along Olifants1 Road, and then turn left at Sable Road, continue for another approximately 2 kilometres and then turn right at the Ezulwini sign just before the seasonal river. Follow the road to the Lodge.
Fees Payable Direct at Camp
Balule Nature Reserve vehicle entry fee: R50.00 per vehicle per entry. This fee is collected in cash at the Olifants West Gate on arrival.
Balule Conservation levy: R100.00 per person per stay. This fee is collected in cash at the Olifants West Gate on arrival.
Succumb to bushveld luxury at Ezulwini Billy’s Lodge, which is built on the banks of a riverbed seasonally visited by rain bringing herds of grazing animals and their predatory counterparts right to the vicinity of the lodge. Locted in the Balule Nature Reserve, a pristine private region of the Greater Kruger Park.
A lodge decked with leadwood masterpieces and high, thatched roofs, there is an element of space and opulence throughout the main area, extending to the superb private suites. Plunge pools, sun decks, and both indoor and open-air showers, Billy’s Lodge caters to guests with a taste for sumptuousness.
Meals are served in the boma around a dancing fire, in a cosy African-inspired dining room, or outside on the deck. Sounds of the nightlife fill the air and lull you to sleep in the comfort of your safari suite before an early morning wake up call signifies the start of an exciting day in the South African bush.
At a Glance
- Luxury safari lodge located in the private Balule Game Reserve, Greater Kruger.
- Accommodating only 12 people at most, Billy’s Lodge is small and keeps the experience intimate.
- The lodge allures with opulent wood, leather and glass accents, while incorporating the wild into its structure.
- 3 Luxury Chalets that are spacious and private with plunge pools, open-air showers, lounges, and mini-bars.
- with ensuite bathrooms, cup-board space, airconditioning and overhead fans.
- Rusks and biscuits served before game drive, hot brunch served on the deck after game drive, and high tea served before afternoon drive, while dinner is a feast served indoors or outdoors.
- Private traverse of the Balule Reserve, offroading, and stopping for morning coffee and afternoon sundowners.
- Lazy afternoons can be spent at the lookout deck watching game at the waterhole.
- Multiple areas to relax outdoors around the lodge.
- Elephants and other animals come in close range of the lodge due to the unobtrusive fencing, adding to the wild experience.
- Shared swimming pool surrounded by trees and shade; plus individual plunge pools in suites.
- Main lodge with bar, indoor lounge, TV, and dining room
- Shaded main deck with leather couches and views into the bush
- ‘Sky walk’ – raised wooden walkway leading off the main deck to viewing point overlooking waterhole
- 3 Superior Suites with private plunge pools and open-air showers
– Tea/coffee making station & mini bar fridge
– Large open plan room with King size bed
– Lounge area with queen size sofa bed
– Private plunge pools
- 3 Luxury Chalets with ensuite bathrooms
– tea/coffee making station & mini bar fridge
– Separate lounge area with queen size sofa bed.
– Small private deck
- Boardwalks leading to each suite lit by lanterns and lined with natural vegetation
- Open-air boma area for traditional, outdoor dining around a fire
The average mean rainfall for the year is 350mm, with most rainfall occurring during mid-summer (November - February). The rainfall generally occurs in the form of thunderstorms where a downpour is experienced, very seldom lasting longer than a few hours. The mean average maximum temperatures range from 24.5°C in July to 31.5°C in January with the mean monthly minimum occurring in July at a temperature of 8.5°C.
During the dry season the vegetation is sparse and wildlife congregates around watering holes. During the wet season the vegetation is dense and wildlife is more dispersed. Expect to see the Big Five over the course of a 2-3-night stay.
In addition to the Big Five species that are regularly sighted and enjoyed at close range, animals frequently seen in the Balule Reserve include giraffe, zebra, warthog, spotted hyena, baboon, hippo, impala, kudu, vervet monkey, waterbuck, wildebeest, bush baby, mongoose, duiker and steenbok.
Some other very special members of the wild you might also see include the wild dog, cheetah, honey badger, porcupine, aardvark, civet, caracal and serval. Birds can be spotted from all over the lodge, but some of the top species are vultures, owls, bee-eaters, rollers, eagles, bustards, hornbills, starlings and shrikes.
Before travelling, guests are encouraged to consult their local doctors on anti-malarial medication and preparation, however a repellent stick or spray is effective and should be utilised. All rooms have mosquito nets as an extra repellent.
What to Pack
The climate in the Kruger lowveld brings hot summer months between October and April when the rainfall is high, and so is the temperature, reaching over 40 degrees Celsius. The dry winter months begin in May and carry on until October/November, during which time the weather is mild during the day with temperatures averaging mid-high 20s, while very cold in the evenings and early mornings.
- Throughout the year, we recommend packing lightweight, neutral-coloured clothing with short sleeves.
- Bring sun protection in the form of sunblock, sun hats, and glasses.
- Scarfs, jackets and gloves are needed for early mornings on game drive, especially in winter.
- Comfortable walking shoes as well as open sandals for when the weather is hot.
- Bring along cameras, binoculars and recording gadgets to keep a record of the many wildlife sightings.
Ezulwini Billy’s Lodge is located in the Balule Nature Reserve, which makes up part of the Greater Kruger Park. Sharing unfenced borders with the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve and the Kruger National Park, Balule enjoys the free-flow of wildlife throughout its traverse, putting Ezulwini Billy’s Lodge in the heart of it all. The reserve is about a 45 minute drive from Hoedspruit – the safari capital of Limpopo.
How to Get There
Guests at Billy’s Lodge can access the lodge via self-drive or road transfer after flying to Eastgateairport in Hoedspruit. The drive from Eastgate airport to Billy’s Lodge is about 1 hour in duration along the well-travelled R40. Guests will enter the Balule Reserve through the Olifants West gate
and drive a short distance through the reserve to the lodge.
Guests flying to Johannesburg OR Tambo airport can take a shuttle or self-drive option to cover the 6 hour car journey to the Balule Reserve.
- Children 12 and over pay the full adult rate. Children under 12 pay 50% of the adult rate.
- We are unable to accommodate children under the age of 10.
Accommodation, full breakfast, light lunch, and a three-course dinner, teas & coffees, complimentary house wines in the Billys Lodge wine cellar, bottled water, morning and afternoon/ evening game drives, wireless internet.
Soft & alcoholic drinks, airport and other transfers, curio shop purchased, Balule Nature Reserve Entrance Fee of R80 per vehicle and R185 per person, staff gratuities, all items of a personal nature, any item not described above.
A single supplement of 25% applies to single guests occupying a suite/chalet.
Balule Nature Reserve entrance fee of R80 per vehicle and R185 per person, payable in cash or credit card (MasterCard and Visa only) payable direct at the Olifants West Gate.
EZULWINI BILLY’S LODGE
US.5 per person each way – this is from/to the Olifants West Gate, Balule Nature Reserve for guests using the Ashton’s Shuttle.
- No one night bookings are accepted. A minimum 2-night stay is required.
- Rates are quoted in US$.
- Rates are quoted per person sharing per night.
- Rates are subject to change without prior notice.
- Rates include government taxes where applicable.
- If taxes increase, we reserve the right to increase the rate accordingly.
Our Sunrise and Sundowner safaris are conducted over 20,000 acres of our own property and other adjoining land, on the Balule Nature Reserve, Greater Kruger National Park.
This is a prime game area of amazing woodland savannah and riverine forest and with amazing photo opportunities to not only see the Big 5 but some of the other amazing wildlife on the reserve.
Your game drive begins and ends at the lodge and there is no need for a long commute on paved roads to begin the twice daily safari, as offered by other less expensive options which are not situated in the Greater Kruger open area. Enjoy viewing animals at the lodge from the comfort of your own private balcony.
As you will see we are not based in the Kruger National Park itself and because we are an exclusive lodge, we only have up to nine as a maximum of guests on our safari vehicles, which then traverse our own property. For any sightings we only allow a maximum of two game drive vehicles at any one time.
Guests may check in at around 14.00 pm and lunch will be arranged; check out time is 11.00 am after the morning game drive and a leisurely breakfast. Our daily schedule is shown below – times are approximate and can
depend on weather conditions.
05.15 am - Wake-up Call
05.45 am - Coffee/Tea before game drive
06.00 am - Morning Game Drive
08.30 am - 09.00 am Return to Lodge for Breakfast
09.30 am - 10.30 am Breakfast
10.30 am - 13.30 pm Relaxation time
13.30 pm - 14.30 pm Lunch
15.00 pm - Afternoon Tea before Sundowner Game Drive
15.30 pm -15.45 pm - Sundowner Game Drive
19.30 pm - 20.00 pm Return to Lodge for Dinner
20.30 pm Dinner
Our Luxury Chalets at River Lodge and Billy’s Lodge can accommodate a third person sharing (or two children under 18), there are either twin beds or a king-sized bed in the main room plus a queen-sized sofa bed in the
separate lounge area
Our Ultra Luxury Suites at River Lodge and Billy’s Lodge can accommodate a third person sharing (or two children aged under 18); there is a super king-sized bed, together with a queen-sized sofa bed in the lounge area
*it may be possible to accommodate younger children upon request to Ezulwini Lodges – but may mean that guests have a separate game drive vehicle and subject to a per game drive fee
Dedicated guest RO water dispensers with complimentary Ezulwini engraved water bottles.
- Revised 8 day menu.
- Expanded wine lists to cater for very discerning guests.
- Complimentary house wines, lagers & soft drinks.
- Chalets gutted and converted to mini suites (with lounge and private decks added and new furniture & fittings).
- New dining deck at River Lodge.
- General lodge upgrades.
- Additional managerial and operational staff.
- Pending purchase of more land in Balule to improve the already very good traversing area.
Cancellation of all bookings must be in writing and is only effective on receipt of the written notification.
- If cancellation of any booking, or any part thereof, is received 31 days or prior to arrival, the deposit will be forfeited.
- If cancellation of any booking, or any part thereof, is received 30 to 8 days or prior to arrival, a 50% cancellation fee will be charged.
- If cancellation of any booking, or any part thereof, is received 7 to 0 days or prior to arrival, a 80% cancellation fee will be charged.
The amounts required to confirm a booking are as follows:
- Direct Guests are required to pay a 30% deposit within 14 days to confirm a reservation, with the balance due payable 45 days before the guest’s arrival.
Balance of Payment
- Balance of payment is due 45 days prior to arrival.