The architect and interior designer of RockFig Safari Lodge were inspired by the Timbavati setting of this luxury South African safari lodge to create a relaxed ambience with indoor and outdoor guest spaces that segue into each other, and enable both communal and private moments suffused with an authentic bush feel.
RockFig Safari Lodge features just six chalet-type suites, making it ideal for exclusive-use bookings for families or groups of friends. The sense of place comes through strongly, with the colour palette in each room inspired by the purple and green hues of local birds and plants. Although guests are always conscious of where they are, no stone is left unturned in the quest for comfort and luxury, with each suite featuring both indoor and outdoor showers, a private verandah ideal for romantic candlelit dinners, a minibar and a bath. Specially commissioned watercolour paintings add notes of cool beauty, and – as with every space in the lodge – the aim is always to delight the guests who’ll stay here. There’s a thoughtfulness to the decor, with the emphasis being on the guest experience – but also an unmissable sense that it’s the natural beauty of the Timbavati bushveld that’s the true hero.
Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to Availability
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to Availability|
|01 Jan 2020 to 31 Dec 2020||Rates|
|Per Adult Sharing per night||R12 500|
|Per Single Traveller per night* (see note below on supplements)||R12 250|
|Exclusive use||R135 000|
|01 Jan 2021 to 31 Dec 2021||Rates|
|Luxury Suite - Per Adult Sharing per night||R13 250|
|Luxury Suite - Per Single Traveller per night* (see note below on supplements)||R13 250|
|Exclusive use||R143 000|
*The first two single rooms in one reservation are not subject to single supplements, however each additional single room will incur a supplemental charge of 50%
Look at our Special Offers for SA Residents under our special offers section!
- Fact Sheet
- Getting There
- Indoor & Outdoor
Set in the heart of Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, adjacent to the famous Kruger National Park, RockFig Safari Lodge is well situated for forays into the African wilds. RockFig Safari Lodge features just six suites, making it ideal for exclusive-use bookings for families or groups of friends.
Only R6 000 ppspn
R9 000 pppn single
First two singles in a booking do not attract a single supplement.
Kids of all ages welcome. Standard rate calculation applies.
- Valid for travel up to the end dates above.
- No lead time restriction of 30 days. Book now for the entire period.
- Provisionals will be held for 72 hours.
- See the attached overview for contact details for the res teams.
- Bookings for travel at 14 days out or less: Payment in full within 72 hours of confirming the booking in writing
- Bookings for travel from 15 days out or more: Payment within 5 working days of confirmation of the booking in writing
- Bookings will be released if no payment has been made as stipulated.
- Standard Terms & Conditions apply.
- Game Drive vehicles will be allocated to bookings as required by the lodge and not as per standard
- Rate Policy of 4 pax per safari vehicle
- Book and travel within 30 days.
- Applicable for all new bookings only.
- Cannot be combined with any other offers.
- Offer includes selected drinks.
- No Single Supplement applicable.
- Proof of SA Residence will be required for all travellers.
25% off for the honeymoon couple
RockFig Safari Lodge features just six suites, making it ideal for intimate getaways
Terms & Conditions
Valid from 01 January – 31 December 2020,
For travel within 6 months of wedding date
A wedding certificate will need to be provided for the offer to apply.
Standard rates and Terms & Conditions apply.
Stay for 4 and only pay for 3
Set in the heart of Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, adjacent to the famous
Kruger National Park, RockFig Safari Lodge is well situated for forays into the African wilds.
Game drives let you cover some ground in the comfort of a vehicle, while walking safaris put you right on the ground, exploring the area under your own steam.
Terms & Conditions
Valid from 01 January - 31 December 2020.
Standard Terms & Conditions apply.
Applicable for new bookings
Whatever you prefer (and we suggest you try both), these exciting activities – and their inevitable wildlife sightings – are sure to get your blood pumping. They’ll also work up an appetite, which you can satiate with the feasts you’ll find at the bush breakfasts and dinners, as well as safari-style meals back at this luxury South African safari lodge.
Meals at RockFig Safari Lodge let you experience the tastes of Timbavati. With so many styles of dining on offer, from informal to the bushveld equivalent of silver service, and the plentiful venues throughout the lodge in which to enjoy them, no two meals are the same. If you’re sharing your Timbavati experiences with your significant other, opt for private dining on your verandah; if you’ve brought your kids along, let them watch their dinner being prepared from the kitchen counter. Alternatively, join your guide and fellow safari connoisseurs at our long table and share stories long into the evening.
Bush dining takes RockFig Safari Lodge mealtime moments and transplants them into the wild. The element of surprise only adds to the experience – don’t expect us to give the game away; we’re busy hanging lanterns, or spreading snowy white linen on a table under the spreading branches of a mighty Timbavati tree. Naturally, everything tastes better al fresco, whether it’s a cheeky morning Mimosa from the bush bar or a piece of venison cooked just so over the coals. The combination of starlight, lantern light and firelight adds to the magic of bush dinners, as do the not-so-distant animal calls.
A stay at RockFig Safari Lodge
- PRIVACY Only eight guests
- EXCLUSIVITY Maximum four guests per vehicle
- SERIOUS SAFARI 30 000 acres of wilderness adjoining the iconic Kruger National Park
- SAFETY Fenced perimeter
- SERVICE Boutique and individually tailored
- SOLO BENEFITS No single supplements for the first two single rooms in a booking
- Morning and afternoon/evening game drives
- Bush walks
- Bush dining, including breakfasts, picnics and dinners
- Private dining
Children and Families
- All ages welcome
- Guaranteed private guide and vehicle
|The Lodge||The Suites|
|Swimming Pool||Yes||Indoor shower||Yes|
|Spa treatments||On request||Hairdryer||Yes|
|Credit cards accepted||Yes||Extra bed||On Request|
|Perimeter fence||Yes||Private pools||No|
By air, direct
- Scheduled charters by Federal Air to Rockfig Safari Lodge’s airstrip, five minutes from the lodge
By air, via Hoedspruit
- Multiple daily flights between Johannesburg and Hoedspruit Airport
- Daily direct flight from Cape Town to Hoedspruit Airport
- 45-minute drive from Hoedspruit
- 5.5 hour drive from Johannesburg
Dry season (May–September)
Temperatures in the cooler winter months range from 9–24 °C and there is almost no rain. Pre-dawn game drives are crisp and require warm clothing
Green season (October–April)
Higher summer temperatures range from 20–40 °C. Rainfall tends to be short and sharp, with exciting electric storms in the afternoon and early evening
Timbavati Private Nature Reserve is a malaria area
|By air, direct||Scheduled charters by Federal Air to Rockfig Safari
Lodge’s airstrip, five minutes from the lodge
|By air, via Hoedspruit||Multiple daily flights between Johannesburg and
Daily direct flight from Cape Town to Hoedspruit
|By road||45-minute drive from Hoedspruit
5.5 hour drive from Johannesburg
Driving (Approximately 5.5 Hours)
- Proceed on the N12 East (Johannesburg) or N4 East (Pretoria) in the direction of Witbank/Emalaheni.
- Continue towards Belfast/eMakhazeni on the N4.
- At the Belfast/eMakhazeni sign, turn left leaving the N4 and pass through the town.
- At the 2nd traffic light, turn right on the R540 and proceed towards Dullstroom, 36km away.
- Pass through Dullstroom towards Lydenburg/Mashishing, 57km further on.
- At Lydenburg/Mashishing, the R540 becomes the R36. Continue on the R36 for 52km towards Orighstad.
- Pass through Orighstad on the R36 and continue towards the Abel Erasmus Pass.
- Proceed through the JG Strydom tunnel towards Hoedspruit.
- Pass through Hoedspruit. At the 4th stop, turn right on the R40 towards Klaserie. Follow this road for 7–8km and turn left onto the Eastgate Airport/Timbavati Road.
- Continue for 500m to an access-control gate (no charge).
- Continue for 18km to the Timbavati/Klaserie Control Gate (entrance fee per vehicle is charged here).
- Travel along a tar (sand sealed) road for 13.5km.
- Turn right at the signpost that reads ‘Tanda Tula Bush Camp, Umlani Bush Camp, RockFig Safari Lodge’.
- After 30m follow the RockFig Safari Lodge signs for about 800m until you reach camp.
- DMS: 24°18’ 22.8” S 31°17’ 18.0” E
- DDM: 24° 18.38′ S 31° 17.30′ E
- DD: -24.306333, 31.288333
Indoor Guest Areas
Spending time in Timbavati is always a nourishing experience, and this is reflected in the layout of the indoor guest areas at RockFig Safari Lodge, just as much as in the menus with their emphasis on locally grown ingredients. The open-plan kitchen is a favourite with younger guests, who love to sit at the counter and watch their meals being prepared, while it’s hard to resist the pull of the fireplace in the lounge on a winter’s evening. Subtle touches of opulence are throughout, including the dreamy chandelier that hangs over the impressive, 4m-long table, which is perfect for shared meals and safari stories. Many of the pieces of furniture in the lodge were commissioned from local artisans, while the colours take inspiration from the Rockfig tree and the area’s lovely lichen-spotted rocks.
Outdoor Guest Areas
A second, long dining table can be found outside, where you can feel the energy flowing in from the surrounding bush … a vibrancy which in turn is reciprocated by the warmth and hospitality of the RockFig Safari Lodge staff. The undoubted outdoor centrepiece is the comfortable covered lounge with its arresting views, although the pool deck, overlooking the waterhole, is just as inviting. A dip into the pool perfectly symbolises the feeling of being immersed in the rhythms of Timbavati, while its surrounding loungers are responsible for a perfectly relaxed afternoon, perhaps punctuated by pizza from the outdoor oven. The boma area becomes the focal point on starry nights, as the crackles of the firewood compete with the cackles of hyaenas and the hushed, happy whispers of guests. Stepping outside at RockFig brings you even closer to the bush, without ever feeling that you’ve left the comforts of your new home-from-home behind.
RockFig Safari Lodge is the perfect bush destination for families with children of all ages, or for groups of friends. RockFig Safari Lodge is wholeheartedly yours and we will strive to enhance both your experience and appreciation of this piece of heaven.
Charming and homely best describes this beautifully secluded, colonial African style camp. RockFig Safari Lodge offers ample space for the utmost in relaxation.
A fully equipped kitchen invites a warm and social atmosphere which adjoins the dining area. An open boma allows guests to enjoy the experience of sitting around a campfire under African skies where groups socialise in a relaxed atmosphere.
For those warm African days, guests may relax at the rock pool while keeping watch over the nearby waterhole, frequented by thirsty elephants, buffalo and giraffes.
- Outdoor with view
- Deck chairs
- Towels supplied
- Kiddies play area
- Exceptional Bush dining experiences;Open Boma 30 000 acres of wilderness adjoining the iconic Kruger National ParkIntimate wildlife encounters;Gorgeous views of Timbavati River;
- Swimming Pool Spa Treatments Wi-Fi Gym Facilities Credit Card Facilities Malaria Free Boutique
Available: 6 Chalet -Type Suites
Unit Sleeps: 2 Adults
Check-in: From 14:00 PM
Check-out: To 11:00 AM
- Air conditioning
- Mosquito Net
- Indoor Shower
- Outdoor Shower
- Mini Bar
- In-room Safe
- Private Pool
OUR PRICES INCLUDE
- Accommodation in luxury suites
- All meals, local drinks and laundry
- Daily safari activities in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Transfers to and from the lodge’s private airstrip
OUR PRICES EXCLUDE
- Gift shop or other personal purchases
- Premium-brand drinks, such as imported Champagnes, beers and wines as well as certain spirits
- Spa treatments
- Community visits and day trips outside of Timbavati
- Open safari vehicles are shared between guests, with a maximum of four guests per vehicle
- Families and groups of four or more will be allocated an exclusive-use vehicle
- The first two single rooms in one reservation are not subject to single supplements, however each additional single room will incur a supplemental charge of 50%
- The Lodge offers 6 individual chalet-style suites and can accommodate a maximum of 16 guests of which 12 adults maximum.
ROOM SHARING AND CHILDREN
Children of any age are welcome, subject to the following room-sharing options and rates:
2020 / 2021
|Available child Sharing options Child Rate||Child Rate|
|One child 0–5 years sharing with one or two adults||Free of charge|
|One child 6–16 years sharing with one or two adults||50% of adult rate|
Children 6–16 years in own room
Check in 13h00 Check out 10h00
Transfers to/from Eastgate airport
- R800 per person one way (minimum 2 guests)
Timbavati conservation levy
- Adults R424 per person per night
- Children 6-16 years R212 per child per night
- Children 0-5 years No levy charged
Self-drive entrance fee R190 per vehicle (subject to change without prior notice)
- R3,000 per person per night (excl conservation levy)
- Rooms can accommodate four guests in the configuration of two adults and two children, one adult and three children or four children. A single bed will be used in case of a third guest in a room and a set of bunk beds in case of four guests in a room.
- Only 16 guests (12 adults and max 4 additional children 16 years or younger)
- Maximum four guests per vehicle
- SERIOUS SAFARI
- 30 000 acres of wilderness adjoining the iconic Kruger National Park
- Fenced perimeter
- Boutique and individually tailored
- SOLO BENEFITS
- No single supplements for the first two single rooms in a booking
|Malaria||Timbavati Private Nature Reserve is a malaria area|
|Temperatures in the cooler winter months range
from 9–24 °C and there is almost no rain. Pre-dawn
game drives are crisp and require warm clothing
|Higher summer temperatures range from 20–40 °C.
Rainfall tends to be short and sharp, with exciting
electric storms in the afternoon and early evening