As the original Singita lodge, Ebony stands steadfast amongst enormous trees on the banks of the Sand River in the heart of South Africa’s ‘big cat country.’ A blend of European heritage and African boldness welcomes visitors with the down-to-earth warmth of a much-loved family home. Spacious interiors are styled with a varied mix of rich colours, and inviting textures and layers, making Singita Ebony Lodge an idyllic retreat.
Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to Availability
|Seasonal Rates||6 Jan 2020
to 30 Apr 2020
|1 May 2020
to 30 Jun 2020
|1 Jul 2020
to 31 Aug 2020
|Suite Double Twin • Per Adult Per Night||R30 800||R32 900||R35 000|
|Suite Double Twin • Per Child Per Night||R15 400||R16 450||R17 500|
|Bush Suite Doubles/Twin; inter-leading on request • Per Adult Per Night||R29 370||R31 370||R33 370|
|Bush Suite Doubles/Twin; • Per Child Per Night||R14 685||R15 685||R16 685|
|Lewis Suite 2 Doubles/Twins; inter-leading on request • Per Adult Per Night Max 2 guests||R29 370||R31 370||R33 370|
|Lewis Suite • Per Child Per Night||R14 685||R15 685||R16 685|
|Family Suite 2 Doubles/Twins; maximum 2 adults & 2 children • per suite per night (1-3 guests)||R77 000||R82 250||R87 500|
|Family Suite • per additional guest per night||R15 400||R16 450||R17 500|
|Villa - Private use of the 2 Family Suites : 4 Doubles/Twins, maximum 4 adult & 4 children||R221 065||R236 235||R251 405|
|Seasonal Rates||1 Sep 2020
to 31 Oct 2020
|1 Nov 2020
to 14 Dec 2020
|15 Dec 2020
to 31 Dec 2020
|Suite Double Twin • Per Adult Per Night||R32 900||R30 800||R35 000|
|Suite Double Twin • Per Child Per Night||R16 450||R15 400||R17 500|
|Bush Suite Doubles/Twin; inter-leading on request • Per Adult Per Night||R31 370||R29 370||R33 370|
|Bush Suite Doubles/Twin; • Per Child Per Night||R15 685||R14 685||R16 685|
|Lewis Suite 2 Doubles/Twins; inter-leading on request • Per Adult Per Night Max 2 guests||R31 370||R29 370||R33 370|
|Lewis Suite • Per Child Per Night||R15 685||R14 685||R16 685|
|Family Suite 2 Doubles/Twins; maximum 2 adults & 2 children • per suite per night (1-3 guests)||R82 250||R77 000||R87 500|
|Family Suite • per additional guest per night||R16 450||R15 400||R17 500|
|Villa - Private use of the 2 Family Suites : 4 Doubles/Twins, maximum 4 adult & 4 children||R236 235||R221 065||R251 405|
- Accommodation & Amenities
- SEE AND DO at EBONY LODGE
- Jet Service
- Weather & What to Pack
Singita Ebony Lodge comprises 12 suites, each with its own private plunge pool. Interiors feature curated still-life collections of antiques and artefacts, as well as vintage campaign furniture from the Bailes’ family collection.
Materials like wood, iron, steel and aged bronze hark back to the 19th century, along with oversized sepia photography, glamorous leopard and zebra print upholstery that complements bold graphic tribal patterned murals. Internal and external walls have been replaced by canvas and glass to create safari tent-style suites to maximise views and space.
The entire front wall of each suite between the bedroom and the veranda is made of glass allowing light to flood in. Outdoor pavilion decks – ideal for dining and relaxing – are suspended above the river banks as if hanging from the trees. A beautiful marble and cast iron table is the furniture centrepiece for this concept – it is a traveller’s desk with smart tools, a private dining room table for entertaining or a bar to enjoy an evening gin & tonic in one.
8 x suites ideal for singles and couples traveling together. One inter-leading unit is available for groups traveling together.
2 x Lewis suites ideal for families with teenage children. The suites are right next to each other and within close proximity to the main lodge area.
2 x family suites ideal for families with small children. The family suites include an en-suite master bedroom and an en-suite twin bedroom as well as a dining and lounge veranda area with a stone fireplace, and a private viewing deck with heated plunge pool.
1 x villa comprises the two family suites with access to an additional private lounge, swimming pool and deck area, which connects these two individual suites. Ebony Villa will includes a private guide and vehicle, chef, host and banakeli (personal waiter). There is a private entrance and boma, so small groups searching for complete seclusion will be at ease. The Ebony Villa is suited to up to four adults and four children under 12 years, or up to six adults and teenagers.
Note: Children of all ages are welcome.
- There is a swimming pool in the main lodge area.
- Spa and fitness centre facilities are available.
- Our Singita Boutique & Gallery and Premier Wine Boutique.
- There is a television available in the library at the main lodge.
- Dependent upon area coverage, there is mobile phone signal.
- There is complimentary internet (WiFi) access, however due to the remote location of the lodge, the wireless connection can be slow and intermittent.
- Electricity/power available: 220V. Converters are also available and hair dryers are supplied in each suite
- Children of all ages are welcome. There are babysitting services available and tailor-made activities to suit each family.
- In the interest of safety, children’s participation in game activities is at the discretion of your guide.
There is perhaps no more transcendent experience than looking up at a full sky of sparkling stars.
Man has had a love affair with the nighttime sky for centuries and with very little pollution and no city lights to detract from the stars, your view of the heavens here will be crystal clear – nothing between you and the vast African sky above.
Cool off during the heat of the day in the cool and calming water overlooking the beautiful landscape.
You may even catch a glimpse of wildlife from the cool water that overlooks the pristine bushveld.
Each suite at Singita Ebony Lodge comes complete with a private plunge pool. There is also the idyllic swimming pool at the main lodge area.
Fully equipped fitness centres are available for guests’ convenience. Each facility provides picturesque views of the bush, allowing you to keep an eye on the action outside while you work out.
Spend a morning on taking lessons from your guide on how to shoot with a bow and arrow.
With a bow for children and a professional compound bow with arrows for adults, it is a fun activity for the whole group.
Singita is recognised as one of Africa’s most influential collectors of wine, with an extensive cellar showcasing a premium selection of wines, including some of the continent’s most sought-after private reserves, including exclusive release, limited single vineyard and rare auction wines. It’s safe to say that wine is a key ingredient of the unique Singita experience.
The Singita wine list has received numerous awards of excellence, the top Diners’ Club Wine List accolade as well as recognition from countless other local and international organisations.
François Rautenbach is responsible for this excellence as the director of Singita Premier Wine, he manages the selection, purchase, storage, and service of all the wines at Singita’s lodges. François also manages Singita Premier Wine Direct which allows guests to order their favourite wines from their safari to enjoy at home. With the Singita Premier Wine Direct service, wines can either be specially packed for guests as checked luggage or shipped directly to a guest’s home.
Personalised wine tastings within the unique ambience of each lodge’s own temperature-controlled cellar are a true guest favourite, for connoisseurs and casual tasters alike. Singita’s experienced sommeliers are able to guide guests through a variety of wine styles, years and cultivars to find the wines most suited to their individual tastes.
As with all that Singita does, community upliftment is central to the Singita wine programme as well. François Rautenbach has created a special training programme for enthusiastic young wine lovers, developing the next generation of sommeliers for Africa. The training provides educational assistance, personal mentoring, formal wine training and access to Africa’s finest wine programme.
The Singita wellness philosophy creates an environment for our urban-weary guests to reconnect to nature, revive their senses, restore their body and mind, and explore our African culture.
The guests' spa journey can be performed in the tranquility of the Spa, out on a private deck, or in the comfort of guest suites.
The products used are carefully selected for the positive impact that they have on our guests and the environment. The Dermalogica facial products use only the finest ingredients available from eco- safe sources and do not test on animals. The Terres d’Afrique products, which are used for all body treatments, are a sustainably developed, organic, skincare range that harnesses the potency of Africa’s legendary botanical heritage. Both products are suitable for men and women.
This full-body polish starts with an Aloe Ferox body scrub and a Terres d’Afrique mud mask to extract heavy metals. A foot or head massage is performed whilst the body mask is on and the treatment closes with an application of luxurious omumbiri body butter.
(Half- Day and Full- Day packages are available)
Your Journey to Reach Us
- We can arrange scheduled flights or private charters for your trip.
- All flights land at Singita’s airstrip located 10 minutes from the lodge.
- On scheduled flights, the weight of luggage is restricted to 20kg (44lb) for checked baggage and 5kg (11lb) for hand luggage. Only soft-sided luggage is permitted.
- Johannesburg to Singita Sabi Sand: approximately 1 hour.
- Nelspruit to Singita Sabi Sand: approximately 30 minutes.
- Private aircraft pilots land at their own risk and are advised to broadcast their intentions on frequency 124,8 MHz.
- Runway: 01/19
- Latitude: 24° 48” 18’ S
- Longitude: 31° 25” 34’ E
- Elevation: 1250ft
- Width: 20m
- Length: 1 400m
- Surface: Soft tar
- From Johannesburg: approximately 6.5 hours’ drive (+/- 500km).
- From Hazyview: approximately 1 hours’ drive (+/- 50km).
Fly direct to Singita Sabi Sand in half the time with a daily jet service operated by Federal Airlines. Enjoy a seamless travel experience from the moment you step off your commercial flight at OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg, with fast-tracked passport processing and private transfers to the Federal Airlines private departure lounge.
- Two aircrafts have been selected for this service offering immaculate interiors and ultimate comfort:
- A 9-seater Cessna Citation Excel
- A 4-seater Cessna Citation Mustang
- The jet service decreases the flying time from OR Tambo International Airport to Singita Sabi Sand from an hour to just over half an hour with no stops en route.
- Singita guests are met airside after disembarking their commercial flight in Johannesburg OR Tambo International Airport.
- If arriving on an international flight, guests will be fast-tracked through passport control using the crew / diplomat avenues.
- Transfers are in a luxury vehicle to the Federal Airlines lounge.
- Daily departures:
- Johannesburg to Singita Sabi Sand: 11:30
- Singita Sabi Sand to Johannesburg: 14:30
- A team of highly qualified captains and co-pilots will ensure that every aspect of the journey is safe and the perfect start to a Singita safari.
- If visiting Singita Lebombo or Sweni Lodge, a 20min hop in a Cessna Caravan to Singita Kruger National Park is available at an additional charge.
Daily game drives with professional guides and trackers provide the perfect opportunity to get up close to Africa’s incredible animals, while evening drives reveal the elusive magic of nocturnal Africa.
Our game drives are all conducted in state-of-the-art Land Rovers, each accommodating a maximum of six guests.
Key Species You Are Likely to See
During your stay at Singita Ebony Lodge, you are likely to spot a great variety of wildlife, including species such as leopard, lion, rhino, large herds of buffalo, elephant, reedbuck, hyena, hippopotamus, nyala, cheetah, wild dogs and many types of birds.
Guided Safari Walks
Walking safaris are an incredible way to experience the bush up close and personal.
Your expert guide and tracker will accompany you as you track animals on foot through the wilderness and explore the magnificent plants and landscapes around you.
We suggest a minimum age of 15 years for this activity, but participation is at the discretion of your Field Guide.
The untamed wilderness and magnificent wildlife of Africa is a truly life changing experience no matter one’s age.
A safari makes for an unforgettable family holiday, with exhilarating activities for the entire family to enjoy, memories made together that will last a lifetime, and opportunities to learn and grow together.
Safari can open a child’s eyes to the beauty of the natural world, which is why children of all ages are welcome at Singita Ebony and Boulders Lodges. With various accommodation options to choose from, Singita Sabi Sand is an ideal destination for families of all shapes, sizes and ages.
Activities at the lodges are tailored specifically to suit the interests and desires of each family and babysitting services are available. In the interest of safety, participation of children in any game activities is at the discretion of their guide.
Baking with chefs (pizza/cookie making)
Arts and crafts
Astronomy and stargazing
Bush walks around camp
Mini Rangers’ Course
Our exciting Mini Rangers’ Course opens up a whole new world to young explorers. This programme includes: tracking animals; a cosmic safari (astronomy); learning bush survival techniques; flower-pressing (in summer); frogging; butterfly capture and release; game, tree and bird-spotting competitions; nature quizzes and a Ranger’s test. Upon completion of the course, these proud achievers are awarded a certificate to recognise their new-found knowledge and accomplishments.
Accommodation at Singita Boulders & Ebony Lodges includes:
- All meals and beverages (including premium wines, spirits and liqueurs, but excluding French Champagne)
- Twice daily open Land Rover safaris, walking safaris (accompanied by experienced guides and trackers), archery
- Return road transfers between the Singita airstrip and the lodges
- Laundry service
Accommodation in the Villa at Singita Ebony Lodge includes:
- All meals and beverages (including premium wines, spirits and liqueurs, but excluding French Champagne)
- Private vehicle and guide, host, chef and banakeli (meals can be taken in the main lodge if guests prefer)
- Access to a large private communal lounge and deck area with swimming pool
- Private boma
- Private turning circle with direct access to the Villa
- Private open Land Rover safaris (1 vehicle for up to 8 guests), walking safaris (accompanied by experienced guides and trackers)
- Return road transfers between the Singita airstrip and the lodges
- Laundry service
* Please note that guests wishing to check in before 14h00 and/or check out after 11h00 are required to book an additional night at the Day Use Rate.
- Tourism levy
- Conservation Contribution per person per night
- Purchases from the Singita Boutique & Gallery
- French Champagne
- Spa treatments
- Transport to and from the reserve. Please see our flight & access documentation.
Private Vehicle :
Guests requesting a private vehicle will be required to book a Family Suite. The private vehicle is subject to availability and will be charged at the daily private vehicle rate. If it is a family traveling, please refer to the Child Policy for Singita Ebony Lodge.
- Children of all ages are welcome at Singita Ebony Lodge.
- Infants under the age of 2 years will be accommodated free of charge.
- Families of up to three members, including at least one child under 10 years, are required to book the Family Suite and pay for the use of a private vehicle.
- Families of four or more members, including at least one child under 10 years, are required to book a Family Suite and are guaranteed the complimentary use of a private vehicle.
- Children aged 10-16 years are not required to book a Family Suite and will be accommodated at 50% of the adult rate when sharing a Standard Suite or a Lewis Suite with one adult or another child.
- Triples are available on request. An additional room needs to be booked.
- In the interest of safety, participation of children in game activities is at the discretion of the guide.
- Single supplement will apply if 3 or more single rooms are booked in a reservation. A supplement of 25% of the adult rate will be added from the 3rd single room onwards.
- Deposit of 50% of the total accommodation charge is required on confirmation. Balance is due 30 days prior to arrival. For bookings made within 30 days of travel, we require full payment on confirmation.
Due to the increasing fuel cost, Federal Air may increase their fuel surcharge during the year, in which case the incremental must be borne by the client. Singita Game Reserves and Cybercapetown will not be accountable for any incremental costs.
For the period 16 January – 19 December annually, provisional reservations may be held for 21 days, after which time the Company is required to either release the space back to Singita for resale, or confirm the reservation by paying a non-refundable deposit. The deposit is calculated at 25% of the total reservation value.
Balance of Payment is due 60 days prior to arrival.
For the Festive Season, defined as 20 December – 15 January annually, provisional reservations may be held for 21 days, after which time the Company is required to either release the space back to Singita for resale, or confirm the reservation by paying a non-refundable deposit. The deposit is calculated at 50% of the total reservation value.
Balance of Payment is due 120 days prior to arrival.
In the event of any confirmed reservation being cancelled, the following cancellation fees will be charged:
- Penalty of 25% of the total reservation value if cancelled up to 61 days prior to arrival
- Penalty of 100% if cancelled 60 days or less prior to arrival
In the event of any confirmed reservation being cancelled during the Festive Season, defined as 20 December – 15 January annually, the following cancellation fees will be charged
- Penalty of 50% of the total reservation value if cancelled up to 121 days prior to arrival
- Penalty of 100% penalty if cancelled 120 days or less prior to arrival
For the period defined as: 1 July 2020 – 31 August 2020 & Festive: 15 December 2020 – 5 January 2021
- Ebony Villa: Bookable as a Villa unit only. It will not be possible to book the 2 Family Suites as individual units over this period.
- Minimum Stay at Boulders Lodge: A minimum 3-night stay is required.
For the FESTIVE period defined as: 1 – 5 January 2020 & 15 December 2020 – 5 January 2021
- Minimum Stay: A minimum 3-night stay is required per lodge.
- Arrivals & Departures: No arrivals and departures on Christmas Day or New Year’s Day at any lodge.
Seasons & Weather Vary in the Reserve
To ensure your comfort you may want to tailor your clothing choices to the time of year:
October – April:
The weather is warm during the day and cooler in the morning and evenings. We recommend casual summer clothes (shorts and cool shirts) and a warm jersey/sweater for the cooler times of day.
May – September:
This is Fall and Winter and the temperature will be mild during the day, but colder in the mornings and evenings. We recommend casual light clothing and a very warm parka/jacket for the extremely cold mornings and nights.
Best Time to go on Safari
Southern Africa is a year-round destination. Traditionally the dry winter months (April to October) are best for game viewing, due to the shorter grass, lack of foliage and the absence of water which forces the game to concentrate around the remaining sources of drinking water. Annual rainfall, usually in the form of short afternoon thunder showers that clear up within an hour, occur from December to March. Many species give birth to their young around the start of the rains, so the bush is alive with newborn animals.
What to Bring
Your safari suitcase, packed properly, will ensure that you have everything you need for the ultimate African bush experience. Cotton clothing in neutral colours is recommended for all game drives and bush walks. It is best to avoid white clothing and dark colours for bush activities, as they tend to attract certain bugs. Formal wear is not required at any of our lodges.
We recommend packing the following:
- Comfortable walking shoes/track shoes/hiking boots for walks; and sandals to wear around the lodge.
- Swimming costume/bathing suits, sun block, sun hat, sunglasses, lip balm, mosquito repellent (Lip balm and mosquito repellent is provided for all our guests, but you are welcome to bring along your favourite brand).
- Camera and video camera, binoculars, spare memory cards and charging equipment. The use of unmanned aerial vehicles (also known as drones) is strictly prohibited at Singita. View our policy here.
- Please note that in the event of rain during a game drive, waterproof ponchos will be provided for guests’ comfort.
- All of our lodges are located in remote areas and therefore guests should remember to bring an extra pair of correction glasses (if required), contact lens solution and an extra set of contact lenses(if required) as well as a sufficient supply of any prescription medication.
Time of Year Average Minimum Average Maximum
Spring: Sept – Nov 18°C / 64°F 30°C / 86°F
Summer: Dec – Feb 23°C / 73°F 35°C / 95°F
Autumn: Mar – May 12°C / 54°F 26°C / 79°F
Winter: Jun – Aug 9°C / 48°F 22°C / 72°F