Kambaku Safari Lodge provides the ultimate escape from busy schedules with its home-away-from-home ambiance. Attracting guests from around the world, Kambaku combines simple luxury with a high level of environmental consciousness we really totally on solar power for the production of all our electricity.
Accommodation is exclusive yet affordable, meticulously designed, beautifully constructed and tastefully decorated to blend in with the charm and serenity of the surrounding bush. This family friendly lodge has a feeling of relaxed intimacy, accommodates only sixteen guests and is ideal for hosting small family gatherings or groups of friends.
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to Availability|
1 Jan 2019 to
31 Dec 2019
|Safari Lodge (PPPNS)||R5 710|
|Main Lodge (Child Rate 2-11 years)||R3 425|
|Single Supplement (Applies for bookings requiring more than 2 Single Rooms)||on Request|
The eight thatched chalets at Kambaku accommodate just sixteen guests and comprise a variety of options ranging from the honeymoon suite, family suites to double and twin rooms, depending on specific requirements. This flexibility makes the lodge ideal for hosting small family gatherings, intimate wedding parties, and exclusive business events. The honeymoon suite is soon to ensure additional privacy and a touch of something a little out of the ordinary.
The accommodation is exclusive, yet affordable – designed to reflect the cool calmness in the heat of the African bush, four- poster beds with classic draped mosquito nets grace every room. With the carbon footprint in mind, the chalets are equipped with lanterns for the evenings, and although electricity is at a minimum, there are 220V power points which are sustained by eco-friendly solar charged battery system. Overhead fans provide a welcome relief in summer and gas/solar ensure steamy hot showers in the cool of winter. Each chalet also has its own veranda where guests can relax in comfort and view the local animals drinking at the waterhole.
The main lodge has a balance between open plan and private space, with a spacious bar and lounge area leading to the mezzanine floor where one can take time out reading – there is a small library available – or just simply dream away in tranquil surroundings. Opening out from here is a viewing deck over the waterhole and beyond. KAMBAKU‟S main area has a soaring thatch roof which catches the breeze in summer and creates a lovely feeling of openness. A large fireplace in the lounge area adds to the warmth and ambience in the winter evenings. Furnishings are comfortable and cosy, inviting you to put your feet up and relax.
Leisurely brunches are served on the veranda or around the pool, and guests are often entertained by the resident warthog family on the lawn. A great place to while away the heat of the day, is on the sundeck with a cocktail in hand, or enjoy a cooling dip in the pool. Dinners are a truly African affair, lighted by the milky way, a large bonfire, and lanterns in the Boma. Lose yourself in fine wine and bush cuisine while listening to the night calls, fireside bush stories or a guided talk through the stars. The curio shop is stocked with a variety of carefully selected “proudly South African” items, and include KAMBAKU mementos. The lodge also has a Wi-Fi area and mobile phone coverage for those who need to keep in touch with the outside world.
Days start just before sunrise, with a 3 hour game drive, which may include a guided bush walk if the opportunity presents itself. Afternoon game drives fade into sundowners, and end with a drive in the dark, where nocturnal animals, for example the bush baby, may be spotted. Beautiful views over unspoilt bush, and the feeling that you are truly in the middle of nowhere, with miles and miles of bush and animals surrounding you, captivate the imagination, and there are frequently surprises around almost every corner.
Apart from the Big 5, the Timbavati also boasts a healthy population of Wild dog and cheetah, and other safari animals often seen include hyena, ground hornbill (on the endangered list), waterbuck, wildebeest, zebra and giraffe to name but a few. Of course the highlight of any trip is to view the famous Timbavati White Lions in their natural habitat in the only place in the world where they are found naturally occurring in the wild.
For the birding enthusiasts there are over 350 bird species found in the area, and guides will taper the game viewing to suit the group. The little gems of the bush are also given their time in the lime-light such as the dung beetle and the shongololo and their role is explained and demonstrated.
Experienced guides and trackers are ever-ready to talk about the wildlife and offer a wealth of information on all aspects of the local fauna and flora. Owner and qualified guide, Bryce, loves taking guests to the next level of bush experience, and really focuses on imparting a huge amount of information based on his extensive knowledge and experience within a wide variety of bush environments around South Africa and in Botswana. Every hour in his company promises to be a never-to-be-forgotten experience.
Although not advertised and splashed about, a bush dinner or brunch might happen along your stay, and private dinners for special occasions are at your hosts’ discretion, unless otherwise requested. Honeymooners and other special occasions can expect a few added extras during their stay.... but we do not like to give our secrets away!
As we are a children friendly lodge, we cater for child friendly game drives and walks, as well as educational games and discussions to keep the little ones busy during their stay. Guest requirements are predetermined and special eating times / types of food are catered for. Where possible, we try and place families with young children on a separate vehicle due to the flexibility needed and so that neither the family, or other guest’s experience is sacrificed. A baby sitting service is also an optional extra.
Special day trip to local attractions in the area are available on request, and are not included in the daily tariff.
Kambaku River Sands unfenced camp is perfectly situated on the banks of a dry river bed allowing animals to roam freely around and through the camp. The suites are set spaciously apart, allowing for secluded views of the unspoilt bush. The main lodge has a spacious lounge with two enormous open fireplaces, a pool and bar overlooking the waterhole, and well stocked wine cellar. This more exclusive lodge offer a bush spa and gym, spa baths and outdoor showers. Come and experience classic luxury in a pristine setting with traditional Kambaku style and hospitality.
- Early Morning game Drive / Bush walk
- Late Afternoon /Evening Game Drive
- Game Drive snacks, Brunch, High tea & Dinner
- Unlimited Wi-Fi available in the reception area & Main Lodge
- Tea, Coffee, Local Beers & Soft drinks
- Credit Card Surcharges
- Timbavati Gate fee per vehicle (Subject to change)
- Timbavati Conservation Levies per person
- Transfers to and from Kambaku Safari Lodge
- Curio shop items
- Bar Spirits & Wines
Kambaku Safari Lodge
All rates are quoted in ZAR, and are inclusive of VAT. Subject to availability.
• Rate changes: All rates quoted are subject to change without prior notice, however all rates quoted for confirmed bookings will be honoured
Peak seasons: 20-12-2017 to 05-01-2018; 15-04-2017 to 30-04-2017; 01-08-2017 to 31-08-2017. All bookings for this period may only be confirmed with a 25% non-refundable deposit.
Group reservations: Only applies to bookings consisting of 12 guests or more. A 25% non- refundable deposit is required to secure the booking.
Only written cancellations will be accepted – please ensure that you receive written acknowledgement of the cancellation from reservations. Cancellation charges will apply if the booking has been confirmed in writing by the party making the booking.
- 8 calendar weeks prior to arrival – 50% of full amount
- 6 calendar weeks prior to arrival – 75% of full amount
- 4 calendar weeks or less prior to arrival – 100% of the full amount
- Game drives
- Bush walks (12 years and older)
- Day-time use of the hide
- All meals, teas & coffees
- Soft drinks & local beers
- Use of the gym at River Sands
- Unlimited Wi-Fi
- Turndown service twice daily
- Laundry – R 250 per bag
- House wines, spirits, premium wines & champagnes
- Curio shop purchases
- Spa treatments at River Sands
- Airport transfers & Day excursions
- Timbavati Conservation Levy R328 per person per day, R164 per child under 12 years old per day
- Gate fees – R 140 per vehicle per entry subject to change
- Private safari vehicle – R4 500 per day
- Babysitting – R 200 per hour
- Kambaku Kubs Kids programme – R660 per child
- Child (2 – 11 years) R3 360
- All children 12 years and older are charged at adult rates
- Children 4 years and younger – are welcome on drive however a private vehicle needs to be booked
- Children under 2 – no charge s
Single supplement – For any booking requiring more than 2 single rooms – R1 680 pppn.
Pilot / Guide room – R3 500 per night – all drinks excluded
- Extras purchased at the Lodge can be settled via Credit Card or Cash and should be done so on departure.
- If travelling in a group please advise the Manager on duty how the bills will be split
- Dietary Requirements
- Kambaku can cater for the following dietary requirements provided we are made aware of such requirements in advance – Vegetarian / Lactose intolerant /vegetarian meals
- Please advise us of any allergies on arrival (Nuts, Alcohol etc.)
- We regret we do not provide halaal or kosher meals
- All rooms are ensuite
- Plug points and minimal lighting is available throughout the camp
- Digital Safes, Mosquito & Insect repellent can be found in all rooms
- A 50% deposit is required to secure all reservations.
- Full payment is required 30 days prior to arrival
Minimum of 2 nights stay applies throughout the year.