Tanda Tula Field Camp: Treading softly on the surface of the earth.
Situated in an exclusive concession of over 16 000 acres in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger National Park. Tanda Tula Field Camp is the ultimate exclusive experience in guided walking safaris.
Tanda Tula Field Camp is an exclusive-use, non-permanent, explorer-styled tented camp located in a private concession in the eastern region of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve. The emphasis is on walking safaris, tracking big game on foot, guided by the industry’s leading field guides and trackers.
Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rands • Subject to Availability
|Exclusive-use only, 4 tents, minimum 3 nights|
|Per person sharing per night*
min 4 & max 8 guests, including children 10 years and older*
|Single per night
25% surcharge for anyone not sharing a tent
|5-Night Explorers' Safari||1 May – 30 June 2019|
|2 nights Field Camp plus 3 nights Safari Camp. Minimum nights reduced at Field Camp and 3-night special applies at Safari Camp.|
Valid bookings made before the end of March 2019 for stays in May, June July and August 2020.
Based on peak season rates and subject to availability
Terms and Conditions apply
The special is based on our PEAK SEASON 2019 rates and are applicable to Thanda Safari Lodge and Tented Camp only.
The experience at Tanda Tula Field Camp is unlike most other safari camps. In a completely exclusive concession, guests will rediscover the true African walking safari, just as the early explorers did. Immersed in nature, the walking safaris are led by highly experienced guides and trackers. The focus is on tracking big game on foot and guests can expect to track lion, elephant and rhino, as well as all other game species in a very informative and exciting experience, bringing you closer to nature. A game drive vehicle is available for game drives for guests as and when needed.
EARLY MORNING ROUTINE & GAME WALK
Just after sunrise – morning wake up. You will meet in the mess tent for coffee, tea, rusks and hot porridge. You will then depart with your field guide and tracker for a 3 to 4 hour bush walk where you will track game, and learn the art of tracking, birding and tree and plant identification. Tracking and finding rhino or elephant on foot is not an uncommon occurrence! You will then return to camp mid morning where you will be welcomed with a hot water bush shower, followed by a sumptuous brunch.
After brunch, you can relax under the trees, have a siesta in your tent, or take it easy in the mess tent area where a selection of books and games will be available. This is a great time to do a bit of bird watching or tree identification with your field guide. The Field Camps are completely unfenced and animals are able to move freely through the camp during the day and night.
LATE AFTERNOON ROUTINE & GAME WALK
Afternoon tea and coffee and a selection of savory and sweet snacks will be served, before the group departs on a short afternoon bush walk lead by your experienced guide and tracker. Following your afternoon walk, sundowners will be served before going on a short game drive that will end back at camp.
Upon arrival back in camp, aperitifs will be served around the fire followed by the chef’s very special bush dinner prepared over the coals. Listen to the nocturnal sounds and learn a little about African history and folklore, before getting comfortable in your tent and falling asleep to the sounds of nature.
4 explorer tents configured to suit each individual group of travelers, with a maximum of 8 guests.
Each tent has its own outdoor bathroom with hot water bucket shower, eco loo and amenities.
This is an exclusive-use camp and as such it is pitched and set-up based on the requirements of each booking, ensuring low impact on the environment.
Open to the environment, Tanda Tula Field Camp allows you the opportunity to get up close to nature.
The camp features an elegant mess tent with a full field bar and campaign styled furnishings.
There is no electricity. The camp features oil and solar lanterns.
There is limited cell phone coverage, and we encourage our guests to keep their phones on silent throughout their stay.
There is no swimming pool as this is a non-permanent field camp.
WEATHER AND WHAT TO PACK
Summer and winter months vary in temperature, and as with Tanda Tula Safari Camp we recommend guests tailor their clothing to suit the seasons:
Summer (from 01 October to 30 April): With temperatures ranging from 25°C to 40°C, pack shorts, T-shirts, swimming costumes, long trousers and a light jersey or fleece.
Winter (From 01 May to 30 September: With temperatures ranging from 15°C to 25°C, pack long trousers and long-sleeved t-shirts/shirts, a fleece, warm jacket, beanie, scarf, warm shoes and warm pyjamas.
The field camp operates from the 1st of March to the 31st Of October annually.
A minimum stay of 3 nights is required for all bookings.
Guests must be walking fit and should be able to manage a 10 mile walk.
Children 14 years and older are welcome.
Exclusive use only, maximum 8 guests, no children under 10. Field Camp offers total exclusivity with a private guide (with specialised walking expertise), tracker and 4x4 ensuring a truly tailor-made and authentic safari experience of a bygone era.
- Tanda Tula Field camp only operates during the dry months from 1 March to 31 October 2018
- Exclusive use, mobile style en-suite tented camp (composting toilet and no electricity).
- All meals and drinks (excluding Connoisseur wines and French Champagne).
- Flexible experience including daily guided morning and evening walking safari and game drive combinations
- 15% VAT
- Connoisseur wines and French Champagne
- Curios, gratuities & telephone calls
- Transfer to and from outside the Timbavati and Tanda Tula Camps
- Balance of payment is due not later than 45 days prior arrival in low season and 60 days prior to arrival in peak season.
- For group bookings (4 tents ore more) balance of payment is due 60 days prior to arrival.
- For any reservation made 30 days or less prior to arrival , full payment is due immidiately.
- Children aged 10 and older are welcome
In compliance with the game walking policy of the Kruger National Park, no children under 10 years are allowed on game walks .
- Cancellation 59 days or less prior to arrival: 100% of total accommodation.
- All cancelled bookings that qualify for a refund, will be refunded less a 5% handing fee.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Provisional reservations may be held for a limited period of time, after which time the Agent/Operator is required to either release or confirm the reservation by paying the applicable deposit.
Valid all year
- Payment of 25% of the total reservation value within 14 days of confirmation (refundable on terms of cancellation).
- Payment of the balance due at 60 days prior to arrival
- For any reservation made 30 days or less prior to arrival, full payment is due immediately.
*NB: In high volume periods, confirmation of bookings is required within 14 days of having made the booking, all confirmed bookings will be required to pay a 25% non-refundable deposit
- 60 days prior to arrival: full payment
- 4 tents or more
- 90 days prior to arrival: final review and unsold tents to be released.
- Deposits will be requested at the full discretion of the Reservations Manager.
- ROAD: Road transfers can be arranged from Hoedspruit, Phalaborwa and Nelspruit airports to Tanda Tula. All transfers are in air conditioned closed vehicles.
- AIR: Federal Air have a daily scheduled flight from Johannesburg to Rockfig Airstrip. Complimentary transfer from the airstrip to camp in an open 4x4.