Tanda Tula Field Camp: Treading softly on the surface of the earth.
Situated in an exclusive concession of over 16 000 acres in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger National Park. Tanda Tula Field Camp is the ultimate exclusive experience in guided walking safaris.
Tanda Tula Field Camp is an exclusive-use, non-permanent, explorer-styled tented camp located in a private concession in the eastern region of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve. The emphasis is on walking safaris, tracking big game on foot, guided by the industry’s leading field guides and trackers.
Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rands • Subject to Availability
|Exclusive-use only, 4 tents, minimum 3 nights|
|Per person sharing per night*
min 4 & max 8 guests, including children 10 years and older*
|Single per night
25% surcharge for anyone not sharing a tent
|5-Night Explorers' Safari||1– 31 March 2019
& 1 May – 30 June 2019
|2 nights Field Camp plus 3 nights Safari Camp. Minimum nights reduced at Field Camp and 3-night special applies at Safari Camp.|
- Terms | Conditions
Tanda Tula Field Camp is exclusively set up and taken down for each safari and the locations will vary throughout the year depending on the seasons and game activities. The field camp guests are hosted by a carefully selected, handpicked team that includes a personal guide, tracker, chef and general camp staff. Tanda Tula Field Camp consists of four custom-designed tents and a communal mess tent / lounge accommodating a maximum of 8 guests. The tents are charmingly appointed each with two ‘military-styled’ campaign beds, luggage racks and packing trunks. Each tent has its own open air bathroom with a hot water bucket shower and eco-loo as well as the necessary luxury amenities. Each of these features add to the adventure of what is the field camp experience.
- The field camp is available on an exclusive-use basis only. It can accommodate a maximum of 8 guests and a minimum of 2
- Minimum stay of 3 nights is required for all bookings
- The field camp operates from the 1st of March to the 31st Of October annually
- There is no electricity. The camp features oil and solar lanterns
- The camp is ideal for families and friends travelling together who prefer exclusivity
- Guests should be adventurous and enjoy walking and tracking big game on foot
- Guests must be walking fit and should be able to manage a 10 mile walk
- Children from the age 12 are welcome (full rates will apply)
The experience at Tanda Tula Field Camp is unlike most other safari camps. In a completely exclusive concession, the field camp guests will rediscover the true African walking safari, just as the early explorers did. Immersed in nature, the walking safaris are led by some of Southern Africa’s most experience guides and trackers. The focus is on tracking big game on foot. Guests can expect to track lion, elephant and rhino as well as all other game species in a very informative and exciting experience, bringing you closer to nature. A typical day at Tanda Tula Field Camp will consist of the following activities.
Early Morning Routine & Game Walk
Just after sunrise – morning wake up. You will meet in the mess tent for coffee, tea, rusks and hot porridge. You will then depart with your field guide and tracker for a 3 to 4 hour bush walk where you will track game, and learn the art of tracking, birding and tree and plant identification. Tracking and finding rhino or elephant on foot is not an uncommon occurrence! You will then return to camp mid-morning where you will be welcomed with a hot water bush shower, followed by a sumptuous brunch.
After brunch, you can relax under the trees, have a siesta in your tent, or take it easy in the mess tent area where a selection of books and games will be available. This is a great time to do a bit of bird watching or tree identification with your field guide. The Field Camps are completely unfenced and animals are able to move freely through the camp during the day and night.
Late Afternoon Routine & Game walk
Afternoon tea and coffee and a selection of savoury and sweet snacks will be served, before the group departs on a short afternoon bush walk lead by your experienced guide and tracker. Following your afternoon walk, sundowners will be served before going on a short game drive that will end back at camp.
Upon arrival back in camp, aperitifs will be served around the fire followed by the chef’s very special bush dinner prepared over the coals. Listen to the nocturnal sounds and learn a little about African history and folklore, before getting comfortable in your tent and falling asleep to the sounds of nature.
Tanda Tula Field Camp consists of four custom-designed tents and a communal mess tent / lounge accommodating a maximum of 8 guests. The tents are charmingly appointed each with two ‘military-styled’ campaign beds, luggage racks and packing trunks. Each tent has its own open air bathroom with a hot water bucket shower and eco-toilet as well as the necessary luxury amenities. Each of these features add to the adventure of what is the field camp experience.
Exclusive use only, maximum 8 guests, no children under 10. Field Camp offers total exclusivity with a private guide (with specialised walking expertise), tracker and 4x4 ensuring a truly tailor-made and authentic safari experience of a bygone era.
- Tanda Tula Field camp only operates during the dry months from 1 March to 31 October 2018
- Exclusive use, mobile style en-suite tented camp (composting toilet and no electricity).
- All meals and drinks (excluding Connoisseur wines and French Champagne).
- Flexible experience including daily guided morning and evening walking safari and game drive combinations
- 15% VAT
- Connoisseur wines and French Champagne
- Curios, gratuities & telephone calls
- Transfer to and from outside the Timbavati and Tanda Tula Camps
Timbavati Conservation Levy * per person once off payment
- R 328 per person per day, R164 per child under 12 years old per day
- R 140 per vehicle
Per person landing fees at Rock Fig private airstrip
- R 350.00 per night
- Balance of payment is due not later than 45 days prior arrival in low season and 60 days prior to arrival in peak season.
- For group bookings (4 tents ore more) balance of payment is due 60 days prior to arrival.
- For any reservation made 30 days or less prior to arrival , full payment is due immidiately.
- Children aged 10 and older are welcome
In compliance with the game walking policy of the Kruger National Park, no children under 10 years are allowed on game walks .
- Cancellation 59 days or less prior to arrival: 100% of total accommodation.
- All cancelled bookings that qualify for a refund, will be refunded less a 5% handing fee.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Provisional reservations may be held for a limited period of time, after which time the Agent/Operator is required to either release or confirm the reservation by paying the applicable deposit.
Valid all year
- Payment of 25% of the total reservation value within 14 days of confirmation (refundable on terms of cancellation).
- Payment of the balance due at 60 days prior to arrival
- For any reservation made 30 days or less prior to arrival, full payment is due immediately.
*NB: In high volume periods, confirmation of bookings is required within 14 days of having made the booking, all confirmed bookings will be required to pay a 25% non-refundable deposit
- 60 days prior to arrival: full payment
- 4 tents or more
- 90 days prior to arrival: final review and unsold tents to be released.
- Deposits will be requested at the full discretion of the Reservations Manager.
- ROAD: Road transfers can be arranged from Hoedspruit, Phalaborwa and Nelspruit airports to Tanda Tula. All transfers are in air conditioned closed vehicles.
- AIR: Federal Air have a daily scheduled flight from Johannesburg to Rockfig Airstrip. Complimentary transfer from the airstrip to camp in an open 4x4.