Tanda Tula Safari Camp is an owner-run tented game lodge situated in the heart of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, forming part of the Greater Kruger National Park. Tanda Tula is the oldest safari camp in the Timbavati. Steeped in history, our roots go back many generations linking conservation and the Shangaan culture, and our joy is sharing it with the world.
As one of South Africa’s most luxurious tented bushveld lodges, we offer our guests an unforgettable experience in game viewing, warm hospitality and award-winning cuisine. Consisting of 12 luxurious tents, Tanda Tula Safari Camp exudes elegance and combines comfort and style with African roots. The open plan lodge, which is completely unfenced, merges luxury with the natural environment.
Tanda Tula Safari Camp is sanctuary to Africa’s Big Five, with traversing over more than 20,000 ha of wilderness and undisturbed biodiversity. As there are no fences between the Timbavati and Kruger National Park, game are able to roam freely between the two, offering guests an incredible African wildlife experience. Our highly skilled ranger and tracker teams guide our guests in the early mornings and evenings, in open Land Rovers or on foot.
|Luxury Tent x 12||Luxury Tent x 12|
|Per Person Sharing Per Night
including children 8 years and older
|Single/third person per night*
50% surcharge on per person sharing rate*
|Star Bed per person per night surcharge (max 2 guest, available March-October)**||R2 145|
|Guide & pilot accommodation *excludes conservation levy||R2 145|
* Single/third person rate: in compliance with Timbavati capacity regulations, a 3rd person sharing with 2 adults is allocated a tent and pays the single surcharge of 50%.
** Star bed is subject to weather and availability. Bookings are made provisionally, and guests settle the surcharge directly at the camp.
- Terms | Conditions
Set on the banks of the Nhlaralumi riverbed in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, Tanda Tula Safari Camp is shaded by majestic trees and overlooks a watering hole. Each of the 12 luxury tents is completely private and surrounded by lush riverine bush overlooking the riverbed, epitomising the ultimate African wildlife experience. Each tent has its own private deck complete with comfortable loungers, which offers guests an opportunity to relax on their own, and absorb the beauty and tranquility of the African bush.
Tanda Tula Safari Camp luxury tents features a beautiful en suite bathroom with a traditional Victorian bathtub and romantic outdoor shower, overlooking the African bush and riverbed. The interiors are furnished in sheer elegance and comfort, ensuring that you will enjoy a true African experience in complete luxury.
3 NIGHT SPECIAL 2019
We have introduced the 3 night special, which does give you an additional 10% discount on your current Rate
The 3 night special is valid for the following periods:
01 Feb - 31 Mar, 01 May - 30 Jun and 01 Nov-15 Dec ’19
The infinity pool overlooks a large watering hole which is often frequented by a variety of African wildlife, including the Big Five. The bar and lounge are always open, and our superb barmen, Harry, Smiling and Thabo, will gladly bring you your favourite drink while you relax and immerse yourself in the serenity of the African Bush.
True African Dining
In the evenings, guests can enjoy a superb dinner in the boma, under the stars in the garden or, for the more adventurous, in the riverbed which runs alongside our safari camp. Here you will enjoy quintessential African cuisine prepared by our highly trained and award-winning chefs. Sumptuous bush breakfasts are served daily at our bush site and after breakfast, guests can arrange a guided walk back to camp with their ranger.
Out in the bush, we have a lovely hide on the Machaton Dam where private picnics and Star Beds can be arranged, bringing you even closer to the wilderness.
Game Drives at Tanda Tula Safari Camp
The highly skilled ranger and tracker teams at Tanda Tula Safari Camp guide guests in the early mornings and evenings, in open Land Rovers or on foot. Each of our Safari Camp’s rangers and trackers are amongst the most highly qualified in Africa. Their extensive knowledge and training ensures that your game experience will be unforgettable, exciting and informative.
Each day, guests are offered the option to either experience the Timbavati Private Nature reserve on foot or in an open Land Rover. Bush walks provide a unique opportunity for nature lovers and adventure seekers to experience the beautiful African wildlife on foot and up close. Each bush walk is led by one of our safari camp’s highly qualified ranger and tracker teams, ensuring that our guests safely experience the African bush and wildlife.
Spend an incredible night out in the bush at Machaton Hide, overlooking the spectacular watering hole on the banks of the Machaton riverbed. After an evening game drive, you will be taken out to the hide with a delicious packed picnic dinner. A game viewing spotlight will help you spot the nocturnal visitors to the dam, and a radio with direct connection to the camp will ensure that you feel secure. In the morning the ranger will collect you for the game drive.
- Due to our rainy season, Star Beds are only available between 01 April and 31 October each year
- Machaton hide is a double-storey wooden structure on stilts, with the top floor as the sleeping area and the lower floor utitlised for storage. The hide is rustic yet comfortable, with no electricity
- Oil lamps and torches are provided
- Bedding consists of a comfortable camper bed with linen, duvets and hot water-bottles during the winter months
- The hide features an outdoor shower and toilet
- The hide accommodates a maximum of four guests and is only available to couples or friends and family traveling together (you will have exclusive use of the hide)
- Normally you will spend the night out on your own, which is perfectly safe, but please enquire if you would like a ranger to stay with you
- Please note that bookings are subject to availability as well as weather conditions permitting.
- Also note that in all cases Two Night Walking Safari bookings will take preference over Star Bed bookings
- The Star Beds experience is available at no extra cost
- Luxury tented accommodation, all meals and drinks (excluding Connoisseur wines and French Champagne).
- Two daily shared game drives and optional guided nature walk after breakfast (max 6 guests per 4x4)
- Mini bar in tent
- 15% VAT
- Connoisseur wines and French Champagne
- Curios, gratuities & telephone calls
- Transfer to and from outside the Timbavati and Tanda Tula Camps
RATES INCLUDE 2019
- Transfers to and from Rockfig Airstrip in the Timbavati.
- Accommodation, all meals and drinks (excluding connoisseur wines and French Champagne).
- Safari activities (maximum 6 guests per vehicle at Tanda Tula Safari Camp).
- Laundry and mini-bar at Tanda Tula Safari Camp.
- 15% VAT.
RATES EXCLUDE 2019
- Transfers to and from outside the Timbavati and Tanda Tula.
- Connoisseur wines and French Champagne, curios, gratuities & telephone calls
- Timbavati Conservation Levy per person per night R 368
- Landing fees at Rockfig airstrip per person per landing/take-off R 385
- Timbavati vehicle entrance fee per vehicle for self-drive guests only, payable at the control gate R 155
Additional Rates 2018
Timbavati Conservation Levy * per person once off payment
- Timbavati Conservation Levy R328 per person per day, R164 per child under 12 years old per day
Vehicle entrance fee payable at the Control Gate (self-drive quests only) * per vehicle R 140
Per person landing fees at Rock Fig private airstrip
- R 350 per night
- Balance of payment is due not later than 45 days prior arrival in low season and 60 days prior to arrival in peak season.
- For group bookings (4 tents ore more) balance of payment is due 60 days prior to arrival.
- For any reservation made 30 days or less prior to arrival , full payment is due immidiately.
- Children aged 8 and older are welcome.
In compliance with Timbavati capacity regulations, Tanda Tula sees children as adults and they are allocated a tent, even when sharing with adults:
o 1 child sharing with adults = single rate applies
o 2 children = standard rates apply
- Cancellation 59 days or less prior to arrival: 100% of total accommodation.
- All cancelled bookings that qualify for a refund, will be refunded less a 5% handing fee.
PRIVATE SAFARI VEHICLE
- Please note that due to Timbavati capacity regulations, Tanda Tula is unable to offer private vehicles.
- Private vehicles can be booked at Safari Camp at a premium rate equivalent to 3 double tents: (2018) R 77 245 (2019) R77 625 per night.
- This rate is fully inclusive and includes accommodation up to 6 guests, private vehicle, ranger, and tracker. As this is subject to availability, please enquire before quoting.
- Please Note: standard game drive policy at Safari Camp is max 6 guests per vehicle.
- As an alternative, we recommend Tanda Tula Field Camp for a completely exclusive safari experience.
- ROAD: Road transfers can be arranged from Hoedspruit, Phalaborwa and Nelspruit airports to Tanda Tula. All transfers are in closed, air-conditioned vehicles.
- AIR: Federal Air have a daily scheduled flight from Johannesburg to Rockfig Airstrip. Rates include complimentary return transfers between Rockfig Airstrip and the camp in an open 4x4.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Provisional reservations may be held for a limited period of time, after which time the Agent/Operator is required to either release or confirm the reservation by paying the applicable deposit.
Valid all year
- Payment of 25% of the total reservation value within 14 days of confirmation (refundable on terms of cancellation).
- Payment of the balance due at 60 days prior to arrival
- For any reservation made 30 days or less prior to arrival, full payment is due immediately.
- *NB: In high volume periods, confirmation of bookings is required within 14 days of having made the booking, all confirmed bookings will be required to pay a 25% non-refundable deposit
- 90 days prior to arrival: full payment
- 4 tents or more
- 90 days prior to arrival: final review and unsold tents to be released.
- Deposits will be requested at the full discretion of the Reservations Manager.