Umlani Bushcamp is a highly recommended, classic African safari camp located in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, which forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park. See the real Africa at Umlani Bushcamp, enjoy the ultimate experience of true wilderness and seclusion in a camp that accommodates just 16 guests, in traditional African reed and thatch huts. Umlani Bushcamp offers an exciting, safe experience in Big Five territory. View lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo and rhino, in more than 10 000 hectares (24 000 acres) of traversing area.
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to Availability|
|Seasonal Rates||Out of Season Rates
8 Jan – 28 Feb’19
In Season Rates
1 Mar – 30 Apr’19
|Out of Season Rates
1 May – 30 Jun’19
|In Season Rates
1 Jul – 31 Oct’19
|Double Huts/Family Huts|
|Per person sharing||R3 230||R4 000||R3 230||R4 000|
|Per single per night||R5 330||R5 330|
|3 night special (Includes complimentary return OR Tambo or Hoedspruit airport shuttle, t&c apply)|
|Per person sharing||R9 800||R11 335||R9 800||R11 335|
|Per single per night||R9 800||R15 330||R9 800||R15 330|
|Children under 12 sharing - less 50% of adult sharing rate|
|ECO HUTS Surcharge inclusive sharing||R3 515||R4 290||R3 515||R4 290|
|ECO HUTS Single per night||R3 515||R5 620||R3 515||R5 620|
|3 Night Eco Hut Special||R10 665||R12 205||R10 665||R12 205|
Children under 12 sharing - less 50% of adult sharing rate
- Daily Programme
- Fact Sheet
Wake-up call 5am in summer & 5:30am in winter.
Coffee, tea and muffins or pancakes in the bar in summer and in the boma in winter.
Bush walk and/or game drive departs at 5:30am in summer & 6am in winter.
Return to camp for breakfast at approximately 9:00am in summer & 9:30am in winter.
Relax through the midday hours around the pool, in hammocks, in the bar, or at the tree house overlooking Marco’s dam.
Light lunch in the bar at 1:30pm
Game drive departs at 4pm in summer & 3:30pm in winter.
Sundowners in the bush while on game drive.
Return to camp for dinner.
While this programme serves as a general routine, it is flexible.
Mealtimes can sometimes vary when weather or extraordinary sightings on game drives merit this.
Umlani is renowned for their outstanding Shangaan rangers and trackers, who will not only find you the game, but will also introduce you to the wealth of flora, fauna, bird life and cultural heritage of the region.
You will be taken out on two game drives per day, in open top Land Rovers. The morning game drive will leave at dawn and the night drive will leave in the late afternoon. There is always a ranger on stand-by for an optional morning bush walk.
During the day you can go on short walks with the ranger after breakfast, or lounge in the double hammocks around the swimming pool sipping your favourite drink. Alternatively, laze away the day in our spacious bush bar and deck overlooking the riverbed and watering hole. For exclusive tranquility there is a tree house about 2.5 km from the camp overlooking a dam, where we can leave you for an hour or two with blankets and big comfortable pillows as well as a cooler box with drinks.
In the evening you will be treated to pre dinner drinks in the traditional boma around the fire, followed by one of Umlani's award winning meals in the candlelit dining room, or out in the open riverbed surrounded by flares and cauldron fires.
Facilities and Attractions at the property
- Swimming pool,
- nearby tree house for game and bird watching.
- Tree house sleep-outs,
- bar/deck overlooking a waterhole.
- Bush walks, night drives, game drives in open Land Rovers.
- No electricity in most rooms but solar power stations are provided in curio shop to charge camera batteries etc. The camp is an ideal nature lovers choice
Nearby Facilities and Attractions
- Blyde River Canyon, 3 Rondawels, Gods Window, Bourkes Luck Potholes, Horse Riding, Hot Air Ballooning, Elephant Back Safaris, Moholoholo Animal Rehabilitation Centre, Hoedspruit Endangered
- Species Centre and Nyani Village Tour and Cultural Show
- Umlani is full board and special requirements can be arranged with management. Special dining requirements can be arranged for children. Breakfast is served after the morning game drive from 9am.
- Lunch is served from 13h30 and dinner is served after the evening game drive from 19h30
- Children of all ages are welcome. Children are allowed on game drives as long as they are accompanied by parents. Baby-sitting facilities and baby cots can be arranged if prior notice is given.
- Supervision at the swimming pool must be pre-arranged as there is no fencing around the swimming pool. Children under the age of 12 are not allowed to go on a bush walk due to safety reasons.
- Umlani has a wheelchair friendly unit, staff can assist movement throughout the remainder of the camp
Umlani Bushcamp in Timbavati offers guests superior accommodation in the form of traditional African reed and thatch huts that will not only provide you with all the comforts you need, but will also provide you with an authentic experience of local tribal (Shangaan) architecture and style, which blends in naturally with the environment.
Each hut has en-suite facilities including an open-air bush shower. The hut is comfortably fitted with white mosquito nets, crisp white linen and towels as well as with standard bathroom amenities, bottled water (although the tap water is perfectly safe to drink) and insect repellent. The Umlani philosophy of simplistic luxury and 'getting back to nature' is enhanced by the romance of operating without electricity, so each hut and the entire camp is lit by candlelight and oil lamps, providing a warm and romantic atmosphere.
The bushcamp accommodates guests in four double huts and four family units that sleep four people, and one hut that sleeps three people. This allows us to be flexible with friends and families that would like to share accommodation.
Maximum or 16 full paying guest Guide and Drive accommodation available
- 2 x Double African Reed and Thatch Rondawels
- 3 x Family (1 double x 2 single beds) African Reed and Thatch Rondawels
- 1 x Triple (1 double x 1 single bed) African Reed and Thatch Rondawel
- *each with own private en-suite facilities and open air shower (no bath)
- 2 x Double Eco Huts, built to enhance thermal storage qualities. It is lovely and warm inside when cold outside and much cooler when hot outside. Also with own private en-suite facilities and open air shower (no bath)
- Accommodation, 3 meals, 2 game drives, optional bush walk, all local brand drinks and 15% VAT
- Vehicle permit - Payable at the Timbavati Gate, per vehicle R140
- Guide Accommodation per day (2018) R1 105 (2019) R1 122
- Timbavati Conservation Levy (2018) R328 per person per day, R164 per child under 12 years old per day
- Timbavati Conservation Levy (2019) R368 per person per day, R184 per child under 12 years old per day
- Private vehicle per day (T&C's Apply) (2018) R 2 825
Road Transfers & Flights
- Hoedspruit Airport to Umlani (2018) - R 308.00 pp one way
- Johannesburg to Umlani via panoramic route or direct route can be arranged, ask for quotation.
- Flights from Johannesburg and Cape Town can be arranged. Please contact us should you require any additional information.
- 50% deposit required to confirm the booking and full pre-payment required 1 month prior to arrival (unless otherwise arranged)
- NB: All transactions are quoted and payable in ZAR
- A 50% cancellation fee on total booking cancelled within 56 days of arrival.
- Full payment on confirmed bookings cancelled within 28 days of arrival or not arriving without prior arrangement.
- NB: Differences in exchange rate upon cancellation are for your own account.
- Umlani Bushcamp recommend Malaria prophylaxis be taken for health reasons.
- Rates subject to change without prior notice.
T&C’s for complimentary shuttle:
3 Night Special: Complimentary shuttle, please take note this has specific departure times from Hoedspruit and OR Tambo Airport. If departure time does not fit itinerary please arrange a private transfer for your client’s account.
- Hoedspruit has a possible waiting period of up to an hour.
Nearest International Airport
OR TAMBO – Johannesburg International Airport Eastgate Airport/Hoedspruit Airport, this airport is service by SA Express, 6 direct flights per week from Cape Town, 2.5 hour flight time and 2 flights per day from Johannesburg OR Tambo, 1 hour flight time
Only 30km/40 min travel to Umlani.
Can be arranged from OR Tambo * Hoedspruit * Phalaborwa or KMIA Airport
Please note that this is a SHUTTLE service and NOT a PRIVATE transfer service. You will be sharing the transfer with other passengers. Pick up and drop off times are fixed and cannot be arranged to suit your arrangements. This is not a scenic route and only a couple of brief drink and toilet stops will
be along the way. Drop off and pick up points are not at Umlani Bushcamp itself and an additional transfer to/from the drop off points will be organised by Umlani.
Ashtons Kruger Shuttle: Timing and Collection/Return Locations
The Ashtons driver will have an Ashtons Kruger Shuttle signboard and a list of clients
The Ashtons Kruger Shuttle vehicles are branded accordingly
Pick-up OR Tambo International Airport 06h45 am
Shuttle clients will be met inside the Bus Terminal Building (on the chairs provided at the Magic Bus office) at OR Tambo. Follow the overhead signboards through the airport stating Transport or Car Rental or Bus Terminal or ask at the Information Desk for directions
Arrive at OR Tambo International Airport on the day of return between 17h00 -18h00 pm
- The above is purely a guideline as timing is affected by traffic, weather, comfort stops & road conditions
- Should unavoidable delays occur, the transfer company will make contact with the relevant agents, lodges & transfers
- Onward flights from OR Tambo should not be booked to depart before 21h00 in the event of delays
Regarding luggage please note the following restrictions:
Luggage allowance (Excluding hand held bags, backpacks and laptops)
- guests are permitted 1 luggage bag each at a maximum of 30kg
- extra luggage will be charged at R50 per extra bag or R50 per extra 20kg
- extra luggage must be pre-booked in advanced and confirmed by Ashtons in writing.
Ashtons Shuttle Service
Ashtons: MOD number: +27 82 045 7864 – please contact them directly on the day of the transfer if you have an emergency
Please provide us with a contact number for yourself: _____________________
NB: NO SHOWS
- Are clients who are not present at their accommodation facilities at the agreed collection time
- Are clients who are not present at the below locations shown in bold by the times shown in bold
- Will be responsible for their own transfer arrangements at their own cost as the shuttle will not wait/return for them
- Will not be entitled to a refund and will be responsible for payment of the transfer in full
SELF DRIVING INFORMATION TO OR FROM UMLANI BUSHCAMP:
All self driving guests will be charged a vehicle entrance fee at the Timbavti Game Reserve Gate of R140.00 per vehicle.
Reserve security may request to search your vehicle for illegal possession of fire arms, ivory or rhino horn, this is purely part of our anti poaching protocol and we ask that you appreciate our effort to protect our endangered wildlife.
Should you be travelling with a fire arm please declare this at the Timbavati Gate.
Kindly obey the South African Road Speed Limits. Should you receive a traffic fine while travelling please note that you should never pay this fine cash, request to be escorted to the nearest police station or traffic department should the officer demand immediate payment.
Please note that the Timbavati Gate closes to public vehicles at 18:00 this is to restrict public vehicles traveling in the reserve after dark as part or our anti poaching efforts and for your own safety as it’s a big 5 area. Please ensure to enter the reserve before this time and should you need access to the reserve at a later time please notify reservations +27 83 650 2088
Once you have entered the Timbavati Gate please remain in your vehicle at all times as this is a big 5 Game Reserve.
DRIVING FROM KRUGER NATIONAL PARK:
- Exit the park at ORPEN gate. Please fill up your fuel tank at Orpen camp fuel station as this would be the last fuel stop on route to Umlani.
- Do not use your GPS for directions to Umlani or the Timbavati Game Reserve. Your GPS will pick up restricted roads that you will not have access to and this will cause you to get lost. Please drive via the R40 towards Hoedspruit take the TImbavati / East Gate Airport turn off and enter the Guernsey Control gate once through this boom gate you continue on the tar road until the road brings you to the Timbavati Gate.
DRIVING FROM HAZYVIEW:
- We encourage all guests to use the Graskop route towards Hoedspruit. The R40 from Hazyview to Acornhoek may have road blocks that can delay your travelling time.
- Please fill up your fuel tank in Hoedspruit as this would be your last fuel station.
DRIVING VIA THE PANORAMIC ROUTE FROM JOHANNESBURG:
- Kindly note that the travelling time from Johannesburg via the panoramic route may take you between 7-8 hours. Depending on how many stops you make at different sights.
- The road between Lydenburg and Hoedspruit can be in a poor condition. Please drive with caution and be aware of potholes.
- Please fill your fuel tank in Hoedspruit as this would be your last fuel station on route to Umlani.
Please request driving directions from reservations
Bushcamp/Eco Lodge Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, Kruger National Park.
- 2 x Double African Reed and Thatch Rondawels
- 3 x Family (1 double and 2 single beds) African Reed and Thatch Rondawels
- 1 x Triple (1 Double and 1 single) African reed and Thatch Rondawel
- 2 x Double Eco Rondawels
OR Tambo - Johannesburg International Airport
Eastgate Airport - Hoedspruit airport – serviced by:
SA Express : Cape Town/Hoedspruit and JHB/Hoedspruit www.flysaa.com.
Cemair: Cape Town/Hoedspruit & Johannesburg/Hoedspruit www.flycemair.co.za
Can be arranged from OR Tambo, Eastgate/Hoedpruit or KMI airport.
RockFig airstrip, Tarred runway, Prior permission is required (S 024 17’ 824 x E 031 17’197)
Facilities at the property.
Swimming pool, Tree house for bird and game viewing, Treehouse sleep outs. Bar/deck overlooking a watering hole. Bush walks, Game drives and Night drives in open game viewers. The camp is Off the Grid” however solar power stations are provided for charging camera batteries etc.
Nearby Facilities and Attractions.
Blyde River Canyon, 3 Rondawels, Gods Window, Bourke’s Luck Potholes, Horse Riding, Hot Air Ballooning, Moholoholo rehabilitation center, Hoedspruit Endangered Species Centre and Nyani Tribal Village
Umlani runs on a full board basis. Specific Dietary requirements can be arranged with management.
Special children meals can be requested. Breakfast is served after morning Game Drive from 9h00 .
Lunch is served at 13h30. Dinner is served after the evening Game Drive from 19h30.
Umlani has 1 wheelchair friendly unit, staff are always willing and available to help with disabled guests movements in other parts of the Bushcamp.
Health Precautions. Timbavati Is a medium risk Malaria Area. Please consult your healthcare practitioner.
A 50% cancellation fee on total booking cancelled within 56 days of arrival.
Full payment on confirmed bookings cancelled within 28 days of arrival or not arriving without prior arrangement.
NB: Differences in exchange rate upon cancellation are for your own account.
Child Policy and Facilites
Children are welcome at Umlani Bushcamp however for their safety and to ensure the enjoyment of all our guests, we have a few regulations:-
1. Children under 12 years pay 50% of adult sharing per night rate.
2. Children under 12 years may not stay in a hut without an adult.
3. Children under 12 years are not permitted to go on Bushwalks. Our staff love children and should time allow, our Rangers or Trackers will be happy to show them items of interest such as Animal Tracks, Insects, Birds, Droppings etc within the Camp. This can be arranged at Camp.
4. Children under 5 years are not permitted on Game Drives. If staff are available to assist with Babysitting we will arrange where possible, but otherwise a parent will need to remain in Camp with child or children during Game Drive.
5. Children between 5 and 12 years will be seated on the middle seat of the GameViewer during Game Drives.
6. Parents are requested to provide their own Camp Cots for children that are too young to sleep in a bed.
Thank you for your understanding – we at Umlani Bushcamp strive to ensure ALL our guests are comfortable and not inconvenienced in order to enjoy and appreciate the magical African Bushveld Experience to its fullest and leave feeling enriched and at Peace with Nature at its authentic best.
OPTIONS FOR HONEYMOON COUPLES:
Upon arrival the newly weds will be greeted by a beautifully decorated bed in their room.
We offer all honeymoon couples a complimentary bottle of JC Le Roux Champagne to celebrate the start of their life together. We also include one romantic private dinner and/or private champagne breakfast during their stay. Private Dinners are set up on the bar deck under the stars or in the bar lounge on colder nights in front of the fire place. The couple will enjoy complete privacy and exclusive use of the bar and lounge for the evening.
Surrounded by dimly lit lanterns, that will ensure a romantic scene. Private breakfast will be set up next to the pool overlooking the dry riverbed under the huge Jackelberry tree.
All other meals are communal.
Private meals can be arranged upon arrival at reception or with Umlani reservations when booking your stay with us.
Honeymoon couples staying for three nights will be offered a complimentary overnight in the Umlani Tree house subject to availability and weather dependant. Please note that the Tree house may be cancelled due to any safety concerns at any time by Umlani Camp Management and therefore no bookings made prior to arrival or tree house bookings made at camp can be guaranteed.
- Please note shuttle times before booking your flights as any transfers required outside of our shuttle times will be arranged at your own cost.
- Complimentary Transfers are only to and from OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg via the Ashtons & Umlani Shuttle and to and from East Gate Airport in Hoedspruit via the Umlani Shuttle.
- Both these transfers are included in the special and are shared with other passengers. Both Shuttles have waiting periods.
Umlani Shuttle Times:
10:00 am: Shuttle departs at Umlani Bushcamp.
10:45 am: Drop off at Bush Pub for Ashtons Shuttle transfer to OR Tambo International Airport.
11:00 am: Drop off at East Gate Airport in Hoedspruit.
12:45 pm: Collection time at East Gate Airport in Hoedspruit to depart to Umlani Bushcamp.
13:00 pm: Collection time at Bush Pub to depart to Umlani Bushcamp.
14:00 pm: Drop off at Umlani Bushcamp
• Please note that these times are fixed and cannot be changed to suit other travel arrangements.
From East Gate Airport in Hoedspruit to OR from Umlani Bushcamp / From Bush Pub to OR from Umlani Bushcamp:
|2018 Rates||2019 Rates|
|1 – 2 Pax:||R 950||1 – 2 Pax:||R1 000|
|3 - 4 Pax:||R1 100||3 - 4 Pax:||R1 200|
|5 -10 Pax:||R1 500||5 -10 Pax:||R1 600|
*For bigger groups please request a quotation from reservations.
*Rates are one way only and exclude the Timbavati Vehicle entrance Fee of R140.00 valid until Dec 2018.
Umlani Bushcamp Reservations can arrange private transfers via the panoramic route for guests who wish to go sightseeing on route to Johannesburg. Please note that private transfers would be for your own account.
Transfers from other lodges within the Timbavati Game Reserve can also be arranged upon request.